Ready to start watching content with your Google Nest or Google Home speaker or display and YouTube TV? Learn how to set up and use YouTube TV with your device. This feature is only available in the U.S.
Note: If you haven't already, make sure you've signed up for YouTube TV.
Subscribe to the YouTube Viewers channel for the latest news, updates, and tips.
Step 1. Set up Chromecast and your speaker or display
- Set up Chromecast.
- Set up Google Home, Google Nest Mini (2nd gen), Google Home Mini (1st gen), Google Home Max, Google Nest Audio, Google Nest Hub, or Google Nest Hub Max.
Step 2. Link Chromecast using the Google Home app
Note: The following steps are optional if you only want to control your TV with your mobile device or tablet. However, if you want to use voice commands through your speaker or display to control your TV, follow the steps below.
- Open the Google Home app .
- Make sure your mobile device or tablet is connected to the same Wi-Fi as your Google device.
- Make sure your mobile device or tablet is linked to the same account as your Google device.
- At the top right, tap your account.
- To switch accounts, tap the down arrow next to the Google Account, then tap another account or Add another account .
- Tap Favorites or Devices .
- Tap and hold your device's tile tap Settings , or More tap Settings .
- At the top right, tap Settings Recognition & sharing.
- Look for a banner at the top of the page that says “Enable voice control and more.”
- If the banner appears, tap it and follow the steps to link your TV.
- If the banner doesn't appear but your email address appears under “Linked account(s)”, your TV is already linked.
Note: If you get an "Error when linking device" message, factory reset your Chromecast device.
Once you've linked your devices, you're ready to begin using voice commands to control YouTube TV.
To use YouTube TV and your speaker or display together, sign in to the same Google Account on YouTube TV and on your device.
If you're part of a YouTube TV family plan or sharing your speaker or display with other YouTube TV members, make sure to sign in to your personal Google Account on your device to use your own YouTube TV library and viewing preferences. Learn more about linking your Google account and your voice to your device.
Common voice commands
Here are some things you can say to your Google Assistant on your device:
|To do this:||Say "Ok Google" or "Hey Google," then:|
|Play a live TV channel||"Play MSNBC on YouTube TV"|
Play a TV show
|"Play This Is Us on YouTube TV"
"Play the latest episode of Grey's Anatomy on YouTube TV"
|Play a movie||"Play <movie> on YouTube TV"|
|Play a sports game||"Play the <MLB game> on YouTube TV"
"Play the <sports team> game on YouTube TV"
|Record a show||"Record Empire"|
|Pause, resume or stop||“Pause"
|Turn off closed captions||"Turn off closed captions"|
|Rewind or fast forward||"Rewind [xx mins yy seconds]"
"Fast forward [xx mins yy seconds]"
Tips and tricks to play content on your TVTroubleshoot voice commands
If your device is having trouble with accuracy, try to be more specific.
For example, try saying the entire name of a program, the service ("...on YouTube TV"), or the name of your device, ("...on Chromecast").
Control your TV when media is playing on your speaker or display
If you want to stop playing content on your speaker or display, say "Hey Google, stop."