To help you manage all of your connected products in one place, we’re moving the controls for Google Wifi and OnHub from the Google Wifi app to the Google Home app.
You should transfer your network to the Google Home app to continue accessing your network settings and Google Wifi features. Migrating is quick and it won’t disrupt your Wi-Fi.
You’ll also be able to use these new features, which are available only in the Google Home app:
- Improved video conferencing
- Network insights to help troubleshoot problems like slow internet and connection issues
- Notifications when a new device joins your network
- Google Assistant voice commands to control your Wi-Fi network: pause Wi-Fi for a group of devices, check your internet speed, and show your guest Wi-Fi password on smart displays
You can continue to use the Google Wifi app for now, but new features will no longer be added to the Google Wifi app. Beginning in May 2021, you’ll need to use the Google Home app to manage your Wi-Fi network. Learn more about the changes occurring in the Google Wifi app.
Transition to the Google Home app
Most features in the Google Wifi app can be used in the Google Home app today. Testing Wi-Fi speeds to specific devices on your network will be added soon in an upcoming Google Home app release. You'll be able to continue to access this feature in the Google Wifi app until it's made available in the Google Home app.
Features that are different in the Google Home app
- When you move to the Google Home app, you’ll need to add others as home members in the Google Home app to give them access to your Wifi settings. Learn more about managing home members.
- On.Here will not be available in the Google Home app. We recommend setting up a Nest speaker or display to allow guests to turn lights on or off with their voice.
When you’re ready to migrate, follow these steps to import your Google Wifi network and settings to the Google Home app.
Upcoming changes to the Google Wifi app
The Google Wifi app will be shutting down in 2021. Here are some things that you can expect to happen while the Google Wifi app is transitioned to the Google Home app:
Beginning in May 2021
- Google Wifi and OnHub devices will only be able to be set up in the Google Home app.
- If you want to make changes to your network including to any features or settings, you’ll need to use the Google Home app.
- The Google Home app will also be needed to expand your network or to create new networks.
- The Google Wifi app will no longer be available to download.
Later this year, the Google Wifi app will be shut down and will only be able to be used to factory reset Wifi devices.