To help you manage all of your connected products in one place, controls for Google Wifi have moved from the Google Wifi app to the Google Home app.
You should transfer your network to the Google Home app to continue accessing your network settings and Google Wifi features. Migrating is quick and it won’t disrupt your Wi-Fi.
Important: The Google Wifi app can no longer be used to make changes to your Wi-Fi network. To make changes, like add or remove members, change device names, perform a factory reset, and run speed tests to your network, migrate to the Google Home app. However, read-only access to the Google Wifi app is still available. This means that you can still access and view the Google Wifi app and your devices.
New features available in the Google Home app
- Improved video conferencing
- Network insights to help troubleshoot problems like slow internet and connection issues
- Notifications when a new device joins your network
- Google Assistant voice commands to control your Wi-Fi network, such as, pause Wi-Fi for a group of devices, check your internet speed, and show your guest Wi-Fi password on smart displays
Features that are different in the Google Home app
Most features in the Google Wifi app can be used in the Google Home app today. Testing Wi-Fi speeds to specific devices on your network will be added soon in an upcoming Google Home app release.
- When you move to the Google Home app, you’ll need to add others as home members in the Google Home app to give them access to your Wifi settings. Learn more about how to manage home members.
- On.Here will not be available in the Google Home app. It's recommended to set up a Nest speaker or display to allow guests to turn lights on or off with their voice.
Timeline for changes to the Google Wifi app
The Google Wifi app will be shutting down in 2021. Here are some things that you can expect to happen while the Google Wifi app is transitioned to the Google Home app:
As of May 2021
- Google Wifi and OnHub devices can only be set up in the Google Home app.
- If you want to make changes to your network, including to any features or settings, use the Google Home app.
- You'll also need the Google Home app to expand your network or to create new networks.
As of August 2021
- The Google Wifi app is no longer available to download.
Later this year
- The Google Wifi app will be shut down and will only be able to be used to factory reset Wifi devices.