Create a video ad sequence campaign
Video ad sequences can be used to drive deeper awareness for your product or service. In this article you'll learn how to create and edit a video ad sequence campaign. Learn more about video ad sequencing
Before you start
Video ad sequence campaigns have some standard features and defaults that differ from other video campaigns. Please bear in mind the following:
- For video ad sequence campaigns, you can only exclude demographics from the campaign level, which can be done on the 'Exclusions' page.
- Sequence campaigns can run on the 'YouTube videos' network only.
- You can’t target with keywords, topics or placements, but you can exclude keywords, topics or placements at the campaign level.
- Sequence campaigns can only use videos from linked YouTube channels.
- Frequency capping is by default set to show 1 entire sequence per user, per 30 days. Frequency capping can't be edited.
Here are step-by-step instructions for creating a video ad sequence campaign:
- Sign in to your Google ads account.
- Click Campaigns in the page menu on the left, then click the plus button .
- Select New campaign.
- Select the Video campaign type.
- Select a campaign goal: Product and brand consideration, Brand awareness and reach or Create a campaign without a goal’s guidance.
- If this step doesn’t reflect what you’re seeing in your account, select a campaign type first then select a goal. Learn more about goals in the new Google Ads experience
- Select the Ad sequence campaign subtype.
- Enter a campaign name.
- Set your budget. Choose the locations that you want to target, the language of your customers and any advanced settings.
- Choose your bidding strategy.
- To use a mix of bumper ads and in-stream ads, select Target CPM. You can also use only one format with Target CPM.
- To use bumper ads, select Maximum CPM.
- To use in-stream ads, select Maximum CPV.
- Click New sequence step to create the first step in your sequence campaign.
- Enter an ad group name, then set your bid.
- Under 'Create your video ad', enter the URL of your YouTube video, then follow the steps to create your video ad.
- Click Add to sequence to add the step to your sequence campaign.
- Click New sequence step to create the next step in your sequence, then repeat steps 10 to 13.
- After you’ve created all the sequence steps for your campaign, click Save and continue.
Edit your video ad sequence campaign
Use the following steps to edit the steps of your video ad sequence:
- Sign in to your Google ads account.
- From the page menu on the left, click Ad groups or Ads & extensions, and then click the pencil icon .
- You can also edit your video ad sequence by clicking Campaigns in the page menu on the left, then clicking Settings. Under 'Additional settings', click Sequence steps and then Edit sequence steps.
- On the 'Edit your video sequence' page, you can adjust the order of the steps in your video ad sequence.
- You can also add a new step by clicking New sequence step.
- Once you've chosen the order of your video ad sequence, click Save sequence. You'll see a pop-up that says 'Change step order of the sequence?' Confirm by clicking Yes, change order.
Changing the step order of a sequence: If you change the step order of a sequence that has started running, the following issues will occur:
- Some users will become ineligible to see your sequence and others will repeat the sequence to follow the new sequence order
- Lift measurement for your campaign will be interrupted, which may cause inaccuracies in various Lift measurement metrics
- Reporting may be impacted and may be inaccurate due to people repeating the sequence, missing steps or other issues
Step is missing an ad: If an ad is removed from one of your sequence steps – either from the campaign itself or due to unlinking the video ad’s YouTube channel – people probably won’t progress in your sequence. However, if a person sees the video that was removed as part of any other campaign, and matches your sequence's targeting, they can see the next step in the sequence.
Can’t create a sequence step: You can’t create a sequence step until you’ve linked a YouTube channel. If you’ve already begun creating a sequence campaign without a linked YouTube channel, save your campaign and go to 'Linked accounts' to link a YouTube channel. After linking, you can add steps to your campaign.
Bulk edits: You'll be unable to use bulk edits to copy and paste or delete an ad group for video ad sequences. If you try to copy and paste the ad group, this will result in a new ad group that doesn't contain any ads. Bulk removal of an ad group will also result in a step without a video ad. In both cases, when you go to the 'Edit your video sequence', page you'll see an alert that says 'Step is missing an ad. Users probably won’t progress in this sequence'. Click Edit step to fix the issue.