This article explains how Reach Planner is used to estimate your ad campaigns' reach to audiences on YouTube and video partner sites and apps across the Google Display Network.
- Ensure that you’ve logged into the correct Google Ads account.
- If you’re logged into a Google Ads manager account (MCC), please navigate to a child account.
- Click on the 'Tools' icon in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- Select Planning > Reach Planner.
- Define your audience from the 'Target audience' bar.
- Define your plan from the 'Media plan settings' bar.
- Customise your budget or reach goal with the Reach Curve in the middle of the window.
- Changing the budget will show the expected reach of your target audience
- Changing the reach percentage will update the budget needed for that reach
- Click the 'Edit' pencil icon to add products to your plan.
- Confirm your 'Total plan budget'. This will automatically populate with the value from the Reach Curve section.
- Include or omit Outstream ads and Bumper ads.
- Choose product mixes that match your goals.
- The mixes will show a breakdown of how much of your budget will be allocated to different products.
- Click the Done button near the top of the window.
- The Reach Curve will update to show your expected reach based on the product mixes that you selected.
Note: Reach out to your Google contact if you’d like to use Reach Planner in all accounts under your Google Ads manager account (MCC).
Build a media plan
An effective media plan is necessary for your success with Reach Planner. It helps you target the people whom you want to reach, with the ads that you want to show them, at the time when you want to reach them. Building a solid media plan begins by defining three inputs:
Target Audience: Use this setting to specify the group of people that you want to see your ad. Note that adding excessive layers of audiences to your media plan can result in a limited reach.
- Location. By default, the media plan is set to the country and currency listed in your account.
- Age and Gender
- In-market segments
- Consumer patterns
- Life events
- Parental status
Media plan settings: Use this setting to customise your ad delivery, e.g. how long your ads will run and on which devices they will show.
By default, 28 days of a coming month are selected, with no frequency cap, all devices & networks opt-in
- Date range: choose a range of 1 to 90 days
- Frequency cap: cap how many times a user will be shown your ad, per line item, per day, week, month, or apply no cap at all
- Device type: Desktop, tablet, mobile
- Networks: YouTube and Google video partners or YouTube only
Ad formats and products: Choose from a variety of ad formats to better reach your audience.
The most common format, TrueView in-stream, is selected by default. Other options are:
- TrueView discovery
- Bumper ads
- Google Preferred
- Google Preferred Bumper ads
- Standard Reserve :15/:20 sec
Use product mixes
Product mixes are recommended ways to pair your YouTube and video ads for specific media objectives. Product mixes can be found below the Reach Curve, and can be customised with the following objectives:
Reach & awareness
- This option can help you reach up to 70% more people than the frequently bought mix, for the same spend.
- It's developed by analysing country-specific forecasts, compared against prior campaigns, then calculating the total reach at different ratios of Outstream, Bumpers and TrueView in-stream ads, across different audiences and budgets.
- For example, the default settings allocate 65% of your budget to Bumper ads, a six second, non-skippable video ideal for raising awareness, and 35% to TrueView in-stream ads, which are designed to drive views and consideration.
Reach on popular content
- This option allows you to reach your audience and build your brand on YouTube by using YouTube’s most popular and curated content.
- It’s developed by combining Google Preferred and Google Preferred across different budgets.
Views & consideration
- Use this option to get up to 50% more views than the frequently bought mix, for the same spend.
- It’s used to encourage potential customers to research and interact with your business, products and services. It helps to keep your brand top of mind whenever they’re ready to buy.
It’s developed by analysing country-specific forecasts with TrueView in-stream and TrueView discovery to understand the most efficient way to reach your audience.
- This setting helps you build your campaign using the most frequently bought product mix in your country.
- It’s developed by analysing historical country-specific plans, for different levels of budget.
- Customise an existing mix by modifying the allocation between formats.