Note: Starting in 2021, you’ll see optional target fields in Search campaigns for new Maximize conversions or Maximize conversion value bid strategies. With an optional target, Smart Bidding will optimize to these goals the same way it would for Target CPA (cost per action) and Target ROAS (return on ad spend). Maximize conversions with a set target CPA will behave like a Target CPA strategy does today, and similarly, Maximize conversion value with a set target ROAS will behave like a Target ROAS strategy does today.
Maximize the total conversion value of your campaign within your specified budget with the Maximize conversion value bidding strategy.
- When you're using Maximize conversion value without a Target CPA set, we will aim to spend your budget to maximize conversion value for your campaigns.
- When you're using Maximize conversion value with a Target ROAS set, we will help get as much conversion value as possible at the target return on ad spend (ROAS).
This bidding strategy uses advanced machine learning to automatically optimize and set bids. It also offers auction-time bidding capabilities that tailor bids for each auction. You define the value that you want to maximize, such as sales revenue or profit margins, when you set up conversion tracking for your account.
Bid adjustments and Maximize conversion value
Bid adjustments allow you to show your ads more or less frequently based on where, when, and how people search. Because Maximize conversion value helps optimize your bids based on real-time data, your existing bid adjustments are not used. There is one exception: You can still set mobile bid adjustments of -100%.
Before you begin
- Familiarize yourself with automated bidding.
- Before you can use Maximize conversion value bidding, you’ll also need to set up conversion tracking with transaction-specific values.
- You can adjust your conversion values with conversion value rules for higher value types of customers, devices, or locations.
How it works
Using your historical performance and evaluating the contextual signals present at auction-time, Maximize conversion value bidding automatically finds an optimal bid for your ad each time it's eligible to appear. Google sets these bids to help get conversions that are the most valuable for your campaign while spending your budget.
Before switching to Maximize conversion value bidding:
- Check your average daily budget amount. If a target return on ad spend (ROAS) isn't set, Maximize conversion value will try to fully spend your average daily budget, so if you’re currently spending much less than your budget, maximize conversion value could increase spend significantly.
- Check your return-on-investment (ROI) goals. If you have an ROI goal for your campaign, such as a target ROAS, you may want to add a target ROAS to your bid strategy.
- Maximize conversion bidding will attempt to generate the most conversions for a given budget, regardless of the value of the conversions.
- Maximize conversion value bidding will attempt to generate the most conversion value for a given budget. It may bid higher for auctions that would result in greater conversion value than auctions with lower conversion value.
Create a Maximize conversion value bid strategy
- Create with a new campaign.
- Create or change from campaign settings.
- Create from the Shared library “Bid strategies” page.
To create a bid strategy, read Set up Smart Bidding.