For subtitles in your language, turn on YouTube captions. Select the settings icon at the bottom of the video player, then select "Subtitles/CC" and choose your language.
You can track how your campaign performs to determine how effective they are at attracting potential customers. You can use this information to make adjustments to your ads to improve their performance. For example, in your Smart campaign's overview, you can track the number of times customers have taken an action with your ad, such as clicking it or placing a phone call from it.
How impressions work
The Smart campaigns overview uses “impressions” to tell you how often your ad is being shared with potential customers. An impression, which you don't pay for, is counted each time your ad is shown to someone using Google Search, Google Maps, YouTube, Gmail, or Google partner websites.
Reviewing your customer impressions and clicks
You can find the number of customer impressions and actions on your ad in your dashboard.
Your dashboard can also show any of the following information, depending on your account settings:
- Impressions: Determine how often any version of your ad has been viewed.
- Clicks: Determine how often any version of your ad was clicked.
- Call clicks: Determine the number of times potential customers tapped the "Call" button in your ad from mobile devices.
- Verified calls: Determine how often you received calls to the Google forwarding number in any version of the ad.
- Views: Determine how often your video ad has been viewed. (Only available for the “Get more views and engagement on YouTube” goal.)
- Map actions: Track the number of times customers viewed your ad and then clicked your business' pin on Google Maps or got directions to your business.
- Analytics goals: By linking your Google Analytics and Google Ads accounts, you can use tracking IDs and tags to monitor traffic from your ads.
- Amount spent: Determine how much your campaign has spent.
Improve your campaign's performance
If your Smart campaign isn’t performing to your expectations, ask yourself the below questions to identify ways to improve it.
Are your search terms specific and appropriate for your ideal audience?
Your search terms should be closely related to what you're advertising. The more relevant and specific your search terms are to what you offer, the more likely they'll be to bring in customers for you.
If your search terms aren't a good fit for your business, first make sure that the keyword themes you've chosen are as accurate and relevant to your business as possible.
If your keyword themes accurately describe your business, but some of the search terms don't apply to your business, try turning them off. Note that you can always turn them back on later.
Do you have a relevant landing page?
To improve performance, make sure that you review your landing page (the page on your website that your ad is linking to). Make sure to include a clear call-to-action in your ad that takes viewers straight to that landing page.
For example, if your ad text says “Call us”, be sure to include your business phone number on the landing page. If your ad text says “Limited time offer”, be sure to direct customers to that promotion on the landing page.
Is your ad reaching the right customers in the right locations?
Make sure that your ad is showing in areas where your customers are more likely to be.
For example, let's say you create an ad for your dentist’s office and set your ad to show in London. When someone in London searches for "dentist" on Google, your ad is eligible to show. Another person in Manchester searches for "London dentist" on Google. They can also view your ad because they included your selected location “London” in their search.
Does your ad appeal to your customers?
Your ads are the voice of your keyword themes. The more relevant and engaging they are to what your customers are searching for, the more likely they'll generate results for you.
Do you have enough budget?
Try increasing your budget if your ad is performing well and you want even better results. If your ad's results are below your expectations, consider increasing your budget and applying the tips above. Learn how to Edit your budget for Smart campaigns