Use app extensions
App extensions allow you to link to your mobile or tablet app in your text ads.
Before you begin
Before setting up an extension, make sure you have all of these items:
- A mobile app that's live within Google Play or the Apple App Store
- The Package Name (Android) or App ID (iOS) for your mobile app
- The URL of the page within the app store where users can learn more about the app or click to install the app
If you have all of the items above, you can add an app extension to the ads in your account, campaign, or ad group.
Choose the Google Ads experience you're using. Learn more
Create app extensions
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- If you want your app extension to be limited to a particular campaign or ad group, choose one from the left navigation bar.
- Click the Ad extensions tab.
- Select View: App extensions from the drop-down menu.
- Click + Extension.
- Click + New App.
- Select the operating system of your mobile app (Android or iOS).
- In the "App ID" field, enter the Android Package Name or iOS App ID.
- For Android, you'll find the Package Name after "id=" in the URL for the app in Google Play (for example, http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.example.appname).
- For iOS, you'll find the App ID after "id" in the URL of the app within the Apple App Store (for example, http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/example-app-name/id#########).
- Enter the link text that you'd like to show next to your app icon, as well as the link URL that takes customers directly to the app store where they can click to install the app.
- Check the box for “Exclude tablets” to show your app on mobile phones only.
- If you'd like to limit when this extension should be eligible to appear in your ad (such as on specific days of the week or times of the day), click Start/end dates, scheduling and select the desired timing.
- Click Save to create your app extension text.
- Click Save again to use this app extension with your account, or with the campaign or ad group you selected.