Use call extensions
To show your phone number with your ads, create call extensions. When your call extensions show, people can tap or click a button to call your business directly, or they can tap or click your ad to go to your website. All in all, call extensions give you more chances to get and track valuable conversions.
Before you begin
This is an instructional article about call extensions. Before you get started, you may want to read About call extensions. If you’re adding many call extensions, you may choose to follow the instructions in Add and edit call extensions in bulk.
Keep in mind
For the best mix of local targeting and broader reach, you may also want to use location extensions. When you use both location extensions and call extensions, ads that feature specific business locations may direct calls to the phone numbers that are associated with those locations rather than the phone numbers set with your call extensions. You can then gather call reporting data on your location extension ads and call extension ads to see which extension type is performing better. Learn more about location extensions.
The new Google Ads experience is now the exclusive way for most users to manage their accounts. If you’re still using the previous AdWords experience, choose Previous below. Learn more
How to create call extensions
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- Select the account, campaign, or ad group for which you'd like to add call extensions.
- Go to the Ad extensions tab. If you can't see this tab, find out how to enable the tab.
- Choose Call extensions from the View menu.
Enter your phone number
- Click +Extension.
- Select your number from the list, or add a new one by clicking +New phone number. The following steps walk you through how to add this new number.
- Choose the country where your business phone number is based and enter your number in the box next to the country menu.
- If you're in an eligible country, you can choose to opt in to call reporting in your account. Simply check “Turn on call reporting.” Call reporting gives you a lot more data about call conversions. Learn more about Call reporting.
Choose optional settings and save
- To have this call extension preferred over your other call extensions on mobile devices check "Mobile" next to "Device preference."
- If you'd like to limit when the phone number will be eligible to appear in your ad (like during your opening hours), click Start/end dates, scheduling and choose your hours.
- Click Save.
You can repeat the steps above to add up to 20 call extensions to each account, campaign, or ad group.
How to view the performance of your call extensions
After you add phone numbers to your ad, you’ll want to see how they’re working for your business. Learn how to Analyze your call reporting data.