Check the approval status of an ad
After you’ve created an ad, you can check whether it’s been reviewed or not in the “Status” column.
This article explains how to check that status and what each status means.
The new Google Ads experience is now the exclusive way for most users to manage their accounts. If you’re still using the previous AdWords experience, choose “previous” below. Learn more
What each status meansYou’ll see a status both before your ad is approved and after it’s been reviewed.
Before review, your ad will have one of these statuses:
- Eligible: The ad is still being reviewed. Note, however:
- If you see this status for asset-based ads (for example, responsive ads or app campaign ads), it means that some combination of your assets have been approved and may be running.
- If you see this status for Video ads, it means the video has been reviewed for and approved to run in some contexts.
- Under review: The ad is still being reviewed and can't show until it's been approved.
After review, your ad can run if it has one of these statuses:
- Approved: The ad complies with the Google Ads policies, so it can be shown to all audiences.
- Approved (limited): The ad can run, but not in all situations because of policy restrictions, such as trademark use or gambling-related content.
- Approved (limited all locations): The ad can’t run in your targeted locations because of policy restrictions and targeting settings. The ad can run, however, to people interested in your targeted locations.
- Serving: The video ad is approved to appear on YouTube.
After review, your extension can run if it has one of these statuses:
After review, your ad can't run if it has one of these statuses:
- Disapproved: The ad cannot run because its content or its destination violates Google Ads policy.
Not related to ad approval, your ad might have another status such as Paused, Ended, and Pending.
To check the status of an ad:
- Sign in to your AdWords account.
- From the list on the left, click the campaign that your ad is in.
- Click the Ads tab. You should see a table with a list of all ads for that campaign.
- To check an ad’s status, just look in the "Status" column. If you hover over each ad’s status, you’ll see a more detailed explanation of what the status means.
- Visit the Ads tab in your Adwords account.
- Click the Columns button in the toolbar above the statistics table.
- Click Modify columns.
- In the "Attributes" section, click Add next to "Policy details."
- Click Apply.
After following the steps above, you'll now see a Policy details column in your Ads tab. You'll see details there about why a disapproved ad wasn't approved, or why an "approved (limited)" ad is limited to a certain audience.