Choosing a marketing objective
When you create a Display Network campaign, you have many features to choose from and it's natural to feel overwhelmed by the options. Marketing objectives ease your decision-making by guiding you to the specific features designed to work best for a particular goal. Think of them as guideposts that help you to create your campaign more efficiently and effectively.
There are three types of marketing objectives:
- Build awareness
- Influence consideration
- Drive action
To get started, identify your marketing objective for the campaign that you're building and then select one or more sub-options. For example, you might identify the objective "Drive action" and then select "Call your business". As you set up your campaign, you'll see features like call extensions that are suited to this objective.
How you set up your campaign. Instead of seeing all the features, you'll see features designed for your marketing objective.
What's not changing?
How your campaign works. In particular, these areas aren't changing:
- Feature availability. Can't see a favourite feature? Find it by clicking on "Show additional options".
- Performance. Features perform the same way as before.
- Reporting. Charts and tables remain the same.
- Your control. You can change your marketing objective at any time.
Compare marketing objectives
|Marketing objective||When to use it||Types of features|
||Features that help you reach a broad consumer audience and maximise your exposure, such as demographic targeting, affinity audience targeting and viewable CPM bidding.|
||Features that help researching customers find potential product options, such as in-market audience targeting and engagement ads.|
||Features that start the purchasing or conversion process, such as remarketing and Conversion Optimiser bidding.|
Select a marketing objective
- Sign in to your AdWords account at https://adwords.google.com.
- Click the + Campaign button on the Campaigns tab.
- From the drop-down menu, select Display Network only.
- You'll be taken to the "Select campaign settings" page. Give your campaign a name.
- Select the campaign subtype Marketing objectives.
- Choose a marketing objective and pick one or more sub-options. You'll see features specific to the marketing objective that you chose.
Use remarketing with any marketing objective
- Choose your campaign settings.
- Select the Interest & Remarketing option when you create your first ad group.
- Click the Select category drop-down menu and select Remarketing lists.
- (Optional) Select the box next to "Use dynamic remarketing ads".