About shop visit conversions
If visits to your physical locations – like hotels, car dealerships, restaurants and retail shops – are important to your business, you can use conversion tracking to help you see how your ad clicks and viewable impressions influence shop visits.
Shop visit conversions are only available to certain advertisers. For example, they are not available to advertisers with sensitive location categories related to healthcare, religion, adult content and children. If you think you’re eligible for shop visits conversions and have an account representative, you may contact them regarding any questions about the requirements.
- See which campaigns, keywords and devices drive the most shop visits to your business
- Understand your return on investment (ROI) and make more informed decisions about your ad creatives, spend, bid strategies and other elements of your campaigns
Shop visit conversions are available to a limited number of Google advertisers. To be able to measure shop visit conversions you will need to meet the following requirements:
- Have multiple physical shop locations in eligible countries. Ask your account representative if shop visit conversions are available in your location.
- Receive thousands of ad clicks and viewable impressions.
- Have a Google My Business account linked to your Google Ads account.
- Create each of your shop locations in your Google My Business account.
- Have at least 90% of your linked locations verified in Google My Business.
- Ensure that location extensions are active in your account.
- Have sufficient shop visit data on the backend to attribute to ad click or viewable impressions traffic and pass our user privacy thresholds.
How it works
Shop visit data is based on anonymous, aggregated statistics. Google Ads creates modelled numbers by using current and past data on the number of people who click or view your ads and later visit your shop.
Shop visit data can’t be tied to individual ad clicks, viewable impressions or people. We use industry best practices to ensure the privacy of individual users.
Small numbers in shop visit reports
Occasionally, shop visit reports may show low numbers, even “1”. This can happen if you’re looking at data on a more detailed level, such as segmenting by device. Because numbers are modelled and anonymised, "1" doesn't actually mean that only one person clicked or viewed an ad and then visited your shop. Instead, it’s better to read this as a value close to one, or an average of one.
While this data can give you a sense of the breakdown of your campaign performance, shop visit reports are more precise when the numbers are larger. So, to evaluate your campaign performance, we recommend using reporting levels with at least 100 shop visits.
It’s also important to note that even when the reports present small numbers, our privacy techniques ensure that shop visit data can’t be tied to individual people.
How to set up shop visit conversion tracking
If you meet the above requirements and are interested in seeing shop visit conversions, contact your Google Ads dedicated account manager. If you're able to start using this feature, conversions from shop visits will be added to the "All conversions" and "View-through conversions" columns in your campaign reports (learn more about how to view shop visit conversions). You'll also see a new conversion action called 'shop visits' added to your conversion reports. If you don't see shop visit data in your account and believe you qualify, reach out to your Google Ads representative.
How to edit your conversion action settings for shop visits
The new Google Ads experience is now the exclusive way for most users to manage their accounts. If you’re still using the previous AdWords experience, choose “previous” below. Learn more
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- Click the tool icon in the top right-hand corner of your account.
- Under 'Measurement', click Conversions.
- Find the shop visit conversion action that you’d like to edit from the list, and click its name. You’ll see the settings for the conversion action.
- Click Edit settings.
- Click on a setting, make your changes and click Save. Repeat this step for all the remaining settings that you need to edit.
Click Conversions to use the 'Conversion window' setting. Click View-through conversions to use the 'View-through conversion window' setting.
- Click Done.