Track app conversions with the Google Ads SDK or a server-to-server connection
Use conversion tracking to help you see how effectively your ad clicks lead to app installs and in-app activity.
This article explains how to track installs and in-app actions with a third-party analytics tool or by adding code to your app using the Google Ads SDK. To track your conversions by importing them from Firebase, see these instructions instead. For more about mobile app conversion tracking in general, see About mobile app conversion tracking.
Before you begin
Here's what you'll need before you can set up app conversion tracking:
- A Google Ads account: Don't have one yet? Sign up at http://ads.google.com.
- Ability to set up conversion data: Either you or your app developer will need to be able to edit your app's code or use a third-party analytics tool.
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- Click the Tools tab, then select Conversions from the drop-down menu.
- Click the + Conversion button.
- Select the "App" option.
- Select First opens and in-app actions.
- Select Android, then select In-app actions. Click Continue.
- Click Name. Enter the name of the in-app conversion that you'd like to track. This will help you to recognise the action later when it shows up in conversion reports. Examples might be "[Name of app] upgrade" or "[Name of app] in-app purchase". Click on Finished.
- Click Value. Select whether each conversion has the same value, varying values, or select "Don't assign a value" if you'd prefer not to count one. If you choose varying values, you'll need to follow these instructions to track transaction-specific values. Click Finished.
- Click Mobile app. Enter the name, package name or publisher of your app and click Find app. Select your app from the drop-down menu. (Find out more under “About the ‘Mobile app’ setting” below.) Click Done.
- Click Count. Select whether to count every or one conversion per ad click. "Every" is best for sales; "one" is best for leads. Click Finished.
- Click Category. Select the category that best applies to your conversion. If you're tracking newsletter sign-ups, then you'll pick "Sign-up". For purchases, you'll pick "Purchase/Sale". If your conversion doesn't fall into a listed category, then select "Other". Your choice here won't impact the way that your conversions are recorded. Click Done.
- (Advanced) Click Include in "Conversions". Opting into this setting – selected by default – will include data for this conversion action in your "Conversions" reporting column. If you deselect this setting, data will still be included in the “All conversions” column.
Data in the “Conversions” column is used by automated bid strategies such as Target return on ad spend, Enhanced cost per click or Target CPA. So, if you use an automated bid strategy to optimise for conversions, and you don’t want to include this particular conversion action in your bid strategy, you can untick this setting. Otherwise, leave it ticked. Click Finished.
- (Advanced) Click Postback URL. This option allows you to send conversions information back to your Android app analytics package. Enter the post-back URL that your app analytics provider has given you. See our app conversion confirmation developer guide for more detailed information. Click Finished.
- Click Save and continue.
- Review your settings. If you need to make any changes, then click Edit conversion settings.
- Select one of the two options under "Set up your tracking method".
- Put tracking code into the app: Select this option if you want to use our SDK to add conversion tracking code to your app.
- Set up a server-to-server conversion feed from an app analytics package to Google Ads: Select this option if you use a third-party app analytics server and want to use it to track Google Ads in-app conversions.
- Select whether to save the code and instructions or email it to your developer.
- Click Finished.
- Follow the instructions in our developer guide for mobile app conversion tracking. There are instructions for both of the tracking options mentioned above. Make sure that you select the instructions for Android apps.