If you'd like to pay only for ad impressions measured as viewable, you can with viewable CPM (cost-per-thousand impressions). An ad is counted as "viewable" when 50 percent of your ad shows on screen for 1 second or longer for Display ads, or plays continuously for 2 seconds or longer for video ads. You can select viewable CPM as a bid strategy when you choose CPM bidding for your "Display Network only" campaign.
How it works
With viewable CPM, you bid on 1,000 viewable impressions and you pay for impressions that are measured as viewable. An ad is counted as "viewable" when 50 percent of your ad shows on screen for one second or longer for Display ads and two seconds or longer for Video ads. Viewable CPM lets you bid on the actual value of your ad appearing in a viewable position on a given placement. Keep in mind that using a higher vCPM bid than your CPM bid is usually more effective for winning these more valuable types of impressions. This can help keep your bids competitive and continue to meet your average daily budget. Learn more about viewable CPM.
- Pay only for impressions measured as viewable.
- Your bids are optimized to favor ad slots that are more likely to become viewable.
If you're interested in manually setting bids for viewable impressions, rather than clicks, this bidding strategy can help you achieve this goal better than other kinds of bid strategies.
- With viewable CPM, you bid on 1,000 viewable impressions and you pay for impressions that are measured as viewable.
- Generally, to keep your costs and traffic at the same level as a CPM campaign, your bid for your viewable CPM might need to be higher than your bid for a standard CPM campaign; however, you should experiment with a bid that works for your campaign goals.
- The viewable CPM bid strategy isn’t available for Search Network only campaigns.
- If you create your campaign using the viewable CPM bid strategy, and then create ads that aren’t compatible, your ads won’t run.
- A small portion of served impressions might be charged.
How to monitor your viewable impressions
The number of viewable impressions is shown in your campaign reporting. To see impressions and viewable impressions for your viewable CPM campaign, follow the steps below.
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- From the navigation panel on the left, select Display campaigns or Video campaigns, depending on what you want to see.
- From the page menu on the left, select Campaigns, Ad groups, or Ads & extensions.
- Click the Columns drop-down menu above the statistics table, and then select Modify columns.
- Click the Viewability drop-down menu.
- To add specific columns, check the box to the left of each column you wish to see in your report.
- Understand what each “Viewability” column option means:
- Viewable impr.: The number of viewable impressions
- Avg. viewable CPM: The average cost for 1,000 viewable impressions
- Measurable rate: Shows the percentage of your total impressions that were able to be measured.
- Viewable rate: Shows the percentage of your measurable impressions that were viewable, which estimates how many impressions were actually seen by customers.
- Non-measurable impr. distrib.: Shows the percentage of your total impressions that appeared in locations that aren’t able to measure viewability.
- Non-viewable impr. distrib.: Shows the percentage of all of your ad impressions that were considered to be non-viewable.
- Viewable impr. distrib.: Shows the percentage of all of your ad impressions that were considered viewable.
- Measurable cost: Shows the total cost of impressions that were able to be measured.
- Measurable impr.: Shows the number of impressions that were able to be measured; not all impressions that are served are able to be measured.
- Non-measurable impr.: Shows the number of times your ad appeared in locations that can't measure viewability.
- Non-viewable impr.: Shows the number of times your ad was considered non-viewable.
Your ad group default bid is shown in the "Max CPM" column next to a "(viewable)" label. This can help you identify your viewable CPM bids more quickly in your statistics table.