Bid on viewable impressions using viewable CPM
If you'd like to pay only for ad impressions measured as viewable, you can with viewable CPM (cost-per-thousand impressions). An ad is counted as "viewable" when 50 percent of your ad shows on screen for 1 second or longer for Display ads, or plays continuously for 2 seconds or longer for video ads. You can select viewable CPM as a bid strategy when you choose CPM bidding for your "Display Network only" campaign.
How it works
With viewable CPM, you bid on 1,000 viewable impressions and you pay for impressions that are measured as viewable. An ad is counted as "viewable" when 50 percent of your ad shows on screen for one second or longer for Display ads and two seconds or longer for Video ads. Viewable CPM lets you bid on the actual value of your ad appearing in a viewable position on a given placement. Keep in mind that using a higher vCPM bid than your CPM bid is usually more effective for winning these more valuable types of impressions. This can help keep your bids competitive and continue to meet your daily budget. Learn more about viewable CPM.
- Pay only for impressions measured as viewable.
- Your bids are optimized to favor ad slots that are more likely to become viewable.
If you're interested in manually setting bids for viewable impressions, rather than clicks, this bidding strategy can help you achieve this goal better than other kinds of bid strategies.
- With viewable CPM, you bid on 1,000 viewable impressions and you pay for impressions that are measured as viewable.
- Generally, to keep your costs and traffic at the same level as a CPM campaign, your bid for your viewable CPM might need to be higher than your bid for a standard CPM campaign; however, you should experiment with a bid that works for your campaign goals.
- The viewable CPM bid strategy isn’t available for Search Network only campaigns.
- If you create your campaign using the viewable CPM bid strategy, and then create ads that aren’t compatible, your ads won’t run.
- A small portion of served impressions might be charged.
How to monitor your viewable impressions
The number of viewable impressions is shown in your campaign reporting. To see how many viewable impressions your ad received in a cost-per-thousand viewable impressions campaign, follow the steps below.
- On the Campaigns, Ad groups, Ads, or Display Network tab, click the Columns drop-down menu right above the statistics table.
- To add a pre-defined set of Viewable CPM columns, select Branding.
- To add specific Active View metrics, select "Modify columns" and click the Performance (Active View) metrics group. Click Add next to each column you wish to see in your reporting.
- When you go back to your table, you'll see these columns:
- Viewable impr.: Shows the number of viewable impressions
- Viewable CTR: Shows how often people clicked your ad after it became viewable
- Avg. viewable CPM: Shows the average cost for 1,000 viewable impressions
- Measurable impr.: Shows the number of impressions that were able to be measured; not all impressions that are served are able to be measured
- Measurable cost: Shows the total cost of impressions that were able to be measured
- Measurable rate: Shows the rate of impressions that were able to be measured over all impressions served
- Viewable rate: Shows the rate of impressions that became viewable over impressions that were able to be measured
Your ad group default bid is shown in the Max CPM column next to a "(viewable)" label. This can help you identify your viewable CPM bids more quickly in your statistics table.