Create a custom combination list
You can reach a custom audience by combining remarketing lists in an AND, OR or NOT relationship. Custom combination lists let you create advanced lists out of existing remarketing lists. Say that you want to offer a special price to people who buy three products as a set – for example, a mobile phone, a headset and a charger – but these products are in three different URLs. To create a remarketing list of people who visited the three products, you could create one list of "people who visited the mobile phone page", one list of "people who visited the headset page" and a third list of "people who visited the charger page". Then, you could create a custom combination to reach people who saw the mobile page AND the headset page AND the charger page.
Before you begin
You can choose how to combine lists based on your preferences. For example, you can select five lists in an AND relationship by either selecting the "each of these audiences" option from the drop-down menu and adding five lists or by clicking the AND button and adding five lists in five separate lines. When you create a custom combination list, membership durations remain intact for each remarketing list that's part of the combination. Note that the number of users in your custom combination is updated every few hours and if your list is being actively targeted, the customers in your list are updated near real-time.
Custom combination lists can be created by combining any of the following list types:
- Website visitors
- App users
- Customer list*
- Video users
*Customer lists can be combined with other customer lists only.
Use caution when combining an App list with another list type, as it may result in zero users.
Similar audiences can only be used in a single OR condition. This means that they can’t be used for AND conditions or multiple OR conditions with any other list type, including another Similar audience.
Once you've created custom combination lists, you'll need to add them to your campaigns or ad groups.
How to create a custom combination list
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- Click the tool menu to locate the Shared Library, then click Audience manager.
- Make sure that you are in Audience lists using the list to the left of the table.
- Click the plus button and select Custom combination from the drop-down menu.
- On the page that opens, enter a descriptive audience list name.
- Choose how you would like to combine audiences using these options from the first drop-down menu:
- any of these audiences (OR relationship)
- each of these audiences (AND relationship)
- none of these audiences (NOT relationship)
- Then, select which specific audiences you’d like to add and click DONE.
- Once you've selected your audiences and combination options, you've created a custom combination. For example, if you've already created a Sports gear category remarketing list and a Shopping basket remarketing list, then you could create a combination like this: People who visit your Sports gear category page and your Shopping basket page.
- If you want to build another set of conditions, click the AND button. You can then create another combination.
- Repeat steps six and seven until your combination is complete.
- Enter an optional description.
- Click CREATE AUDIENCE.