Starting on May 1, 2023, similar audiences (or segments) will be gradually phased out as a targeting feature. Learn more about this latest change to audience targeting
To provide a comprehensive and consolidated view of your Audiences and make audience management and optimization simpler, you’ll find the following improvements in Google Ads:
- New audience reporting
Detailed reporting about audience demographics, segments, and exclusions is now consolidated in one place, the “Audiences” tab within the left page navigation menu. You can also easily manage your Audiences from this report page. Learn more about Audience reporting
- New terms
We’re using new terms on your audience report and throughout Google Ads. For example, “audience types” (these include similar, custom, in-market, and affinity) are now referred to as audience segments and “remarketing” is now referred to as “your data”. Learn more about the updates to Audience terms and phrases
You can show ads to people who have visited your website before. This article explains the steps you’ll need to follow to create an audience segment that includes people who've visited your website.
Before you begin
If you aren't familiar with how to set up your data segment, start by reviewing About setting up your data segments.
- Sign in to Google Ads.
- Click the tools icon in the top right corner of your screen.
- Under the “Shared Library” section, click Audience manager.
- Make sure you're in the “Segments” section on the left-side page menu.
- To add a website visitors list, click the plus button and select Website visitors.
- On the page that opens, enter a descriptive name for your data segment in the “Segment name” text box.
- Choose an option from the "Segment members" drop-down menu.
- The “Actions” section is where you’ll build a set of action rules for your segment. You can base these on a single action, multiple actions, and excluded actions. For each rule, choose an action from the drop-down menu and enter a value for “days”.
- Click Refine action to add parameters for web pages on your site where you'd like to collect visitor cookies. Values can be words, numbers, or dates, depending on the rule template and parameters you selected for the data segment you’re creating.
- After you've completed one rule, click Add action (OR) or Add action (AND) to build onto your action (depending on the rule option you selected).
- In the “Pre-fill options” section, select an initial segment size option (the number of visitors to your website during a set time). You can choose to add site visitors from the previous 30 days to your data segment or start with an empty segment.
- Note: If you have a global site tag on your website and want to include visitors who match your segment rules, select the option to add site visitors from the previous 30 days. Review Tag your website using Google Ads.
- (Optional) Enter a description of your audience.
- Click Create segment.
Review the Google Best Practices guide to learn how to re-engage previous site visitors with personalized ads.