Google Analytics 4 [GA4] is the next generation of Analytics which collects event-based data from both websites and apps. It is a new kind of property designed for the future of measurement:
- Collects both website and app data to better understand the customer journey
- Uses event-based data instead of session-based
- Includes privacy controls such as cookieless measurement, and behavioral and conversion modeling
- Predictive capabilities offer guidance without complex models
- Direct integrations to media platforms help drive actions on your website or app
GA4 refers to the previous generation of Analytics. This was the default property type for websites before October 14, 2020. Learn more about Introducing the next generation of Analytics, Google Analytics 4.
- Google Analytics 4 shows you how people found your site and how they explored it. From this information, you can get ideas for how to enhance your website.
- If you use Google Analytics 4 and Google Ads together, you can learn about what customers do on your site after clicking your ad. Use this information to help improve your customers' experience on your website, which in turn can help you increase conversions (like sales and sign-ups) and your overall return on ad spend (ROAS).
- To start using Google Analytics through your Google Ads account, click Admin icon , then click Linked accounts, and go to Details beside “Google Analytics”. You can also use Analytics separately at google.com/analytics.