About sitelink extensions
To add more links to your ads, create sitelink extensions. Sitelinks can take people to specific pages on your site – your opening hours, a specific product or more. When someone clicks or taps on your links, they skip directly to what they want to know or buy.
This informational article provides an overview of sitelink extensions. Learn instructions about how to add sitelink extensions.
How they show
Sitelinks will show in a variety of ways, depending on device, position and other factors. When your sitelink extension appears with one of your ads on a computer, your ad will show no fewer than two links due to the minimum two-sitelink requirement to serve an ad. Your ad can have up to six links. Sitelinks may appear on the same line or fill up to two lines of your ad.
When your sitelink extension ad shows on a tablet or mobile device, it similarly must have at least two sitelinks to serve, so your ad will show at least two links. Your ad can show up to eight links. These sitelinks will appear side-by-side on a single line in a carousel format. People can swipe left or right on the carousel to browse your various sitelinks. If your ad appears in the very top position, your sitelinks are eligible to show in a more prominent tappable row, with only one sitelink on each line.
Sitelinks appear in ads at the top and bottom of Google search results.
Example of a Search ad with sitelink extensions as it would appear on a computer
How they work
You can add sitelinks at the account, campaign or ad group level. You specify the link text (what shows to people) and URLs (the pages they click to).
In some cases, Google might supplement your sitelinks with descriptions that you've provided about those pages. Either you can add those details yourself when creating or editing sitelinks, or we can automatically use information within your account related to individual sitelinks – for example, from various ads in your account. By showing additional information with your sitelinks, you can make your ads more relevant to potential customers.
Here are a few reasons to consider adding sitelinks to your ads:
- Update easily: Change link text and URLs whenever you want, keeping them up to date for sales and special offers. You don't need to make new text ads or edit them to include sitelinks.
- See detailed data about your clicks: Find out how many clicks occurred on your ad when sitelinks appeared. Break down the statistics by campaign, ad group or ad. Segment your statistics to see the number of clicks that occurred on the individual sitelink versus another part of the ad (the headline, other sitelinks or another extension, for example).
- Edit your sitelink extensions without losing data: Edit your sitelinks without resetting their performance statistics.
- Customised sitelinks for mobile: Create mobile-optimised sitelinks to show on mobile devices.
- Schedule with start and end dates: Specify the dates, days of week or times of day that your sitelinks are eligible to show.
Cost of clicks
Sitelinks are free to add – you’re only charged for clicks from people viewing your ad. The cost of a click on a sitelink equals the cost of a click on the headline in the same ad. In other words, you'll be charged the same amount no matter which link in the same ad – the landing page or a sitelink – someone clicks. Sitelinks offer your customers more opportunities to click both on and within your ad – but you will never be charged for more than two clicks per ad impression. However, if someone quickly clicks on more than one link while viewing an ad, this gets treated as a duplicate or invalid click and you won't get charged.