Removing or changing your credit card
You need to have a primary payment method on your account at all times. This ensures that there's always a way to automatically pay for your ads. So you can change or remove the credit card you're using, as long as you have another payment method in your account.
If you're trying to stop your ads running, pause your campaigns instead.
Note: If your card issuer or bank is in the European Economic Area, they may require you to go through an additional authentication process, such as a one-off code sent to your phone, to verify the ownership of your card. Your card issuer or bank may require this extra verification when you make a payment, add a new credit or debit card or at the card issuer or bank’s discretion.
Google complies with the new security requirements imposed on banks and payment processors by the Payment Services Directive 2 (PSD2) in the European Economic Area. If you have any questions, please contact your card issuer or bank directly.
To change the credit card that's used as a primary payment method:
- Sign into your Google Ads account.
- Click the gear icon and choose Billing & payments.
- Click Payment methods from the menu on the left.
- Click the Add new payment method button.
- You'll see the payment methods that are available to your account. These are based on your business address, your account's currency and how you pay (automatic payments).
- Enter your payment information, then click Save.
- Now assign this payment method as your primary: Click the Select as drop-down menu to choose Primary.
- Find your previous payment method, and click Remove.
Tip: Add a back-up credit card
To avoid having your ads stop because of a declined payment, we highly recommend setting up a back-up payment method. If your primary payment method doesn't work for some reason, we'll charge your backup credit card to ensure that your ads keep running.
- See how to use a credit card to pay for Google Ads.