Search trend insights help you understand the search interest for products and services relevant to your business.
You can use search trends to respond to shifts in search demand and identify potential opportunities for growth.
You’ll see two type of insights:
- Account: Search trends related to your existing ads.
- Suggested: Opportunities to expand your advertising to new areas relevant to your business. You don’t currently have any ads showing for these insights.
What you’ll learn
This article explains how search trend insights work:
- Why use search trend insights
- How to use your search trend data
- What you can learn from the trend time period
- See emerging trends: You’ll see search trends relevant to your products and services.
- Identify growth opportunities: Use search trend performance to identify areas of search demand where you don’t currently show ads.
- Respond to changes in consumer behavior: Act on shifts in search interest by reviewing the Recommendations for each search trend.
1. See a summary of search trends
On your Insights page, the trend summary gives you a snapshot of the search interest in your market alongside your actual performance.
- Go to your Insights page.
- Review your performance and consider if you’re keeping up with the pace of demand for relevant search terms, or whether there is more volume for you to capture.
- Review the timeline chart to see how search interest and your performance compare over time.
Understand your data
- Search interest: Search interest represents the number of searches for this trend across Google search. Values are calculated on a scale from 0 to 100, where 100 is the period with the most popularity as a proportion of total searches during the trend time period. A value of 50 indicates a period where search volume is half.
- Your Clicks / Cost / Impressions: Clicks / Cost / Impressions for ads that showed on searches relevant to this trend.
- Missed growth potential: Missed growth potential represents search interest over time alongside your performance metric. Use it to identify opportunities for you to capture additional demand.
2. Dive deeper into search trend insights
- Click View trend details to learn more about a search trend.
- You’ll see a number of additional insights:
- Trending search terms
- Trend growth in your campaigns
- Related search trend insights
Trending search terms
Search term insights help you identify trending searches across Google.
You’ll see opportunities to capture more demand from your existing ads, as well as popular and relevant searches that your ads haven’t yet targeted.
Search term insights can help you see what consumers may be interested in. This info can spark new ideas for your business or new content, such as blog posts to promote your products and services.
Columns for search terms
- Search term: Search term which has seen increased interest for the trend.
- Keywords: Keywords or campaigns that received impressions for the search term during the trend period.
- Search growth: “Search growth” shows the increase in searches for this term over the trend time period across Google.
- Search volume: Number of searches for this term over the time period.
- Your (clicks/cost/impressions): Number of clicks/cost/impressions your account received for the search term during the trend time period.
Trend growth in your campaigns
Campaign insights show you which campaigns have ads that target trending searches. This data can help you capture more interest in searches relevant to your existing campaigns.
Columns for campaigns
- Search growth: “Search growth” shows the increase in searches related to this trend for your campaign over the time period.
- Search volume: “Search volume” shows the rounded number of searches for search terms covered by this campaign that are related to this trend over the trend time period.
- Your (clicks/cost/impressions): Number of clicks/cost/impressions your campaign received for the rising search terms during the trend time period
Emerging trends | Week over week
Week over week trends look at the search interest across Google for the last 7 days compared to the previous 7 days.
Sustained interest | Month over month
Month over month trends look at the search interest across Google for the last 28 days compared to the previous 28 days.
Opportunities for growth | Year over year
Year over year trends look at the search interest across Google for the last 28 days compared to the same 28 days a year ago.