If you can’t send or receive text messages (SMS/MMS), have problems with group messages, or can’t send or receive pictures and video, try the troubleshooting steps below. After each step, check to see if your issue has been fixed.
If you just transferred your number to Google Fi, there might be a 48h delay before you can send or receive text messages. Before you try these steps, check your porting status.
If you're using an iPhone, make sure you update your text settings.
On Messages by Google
If your default messaging app is Messages by Google, make sure the Hangouts integration is turned off:
- On your phone, open the Hangouts app .
- In the upper left corner, tap Menu .
- Tap Settings .
- Select the Google Account you use with Google Fi.
- Under “Google Fi calls and SMS,” find the box next to “Messages.”
- Uncheck it if it has a checkmark, otherwise the Hangouts integration is already turned off.
- Check for Messages by Google app updates.
Hangouts for texting no longer works. If your default messaging app is Hangouts, switch to Messages by Google for a similar experience.
For more info, visit:
On third-party apps
Contact your app’s provider for help.
If you use Android and use any app other than Messages by Google to send and receive messages, download the most recent version of Messages and make it your default messaging app for best results.
In general, we recommend keeping all of your phone's apps up to date. Here's how you can update your Google Fi app:
- On your phone, open the Play Store app .
- In the top left, tap Menu My Apps.
- Scroll through your installed apps and select Google Fi.
- At the top, tap Update. The button will say "Open" instead of "Update" if the app is already up to date.
Here are some things you can try to see if there's a problem with the number you want to text:
- Send a test message to a group of friends or family and ask them if it went through.
- For MMS, make sure the number you're texting is tied to a device that can receive group or multimedia messages.
- If you're trying to text a shortcode number, try texting the word "HELP." If you get a message that says "Service access denied," contact a Google Fi agent for more help.
Make sure the number you're trying to text is correct. If you’re having issues with texting, use the full 10- or 11-digit number. Try:
- (area code) + (number)
- 1+ (area code) + (number)
If you're texting an international number from the U.S.
- Canada and U.S. Virgin Islands: Use 1 (area code) (local number).
- To all other countries: Touch and hold 0 until you see + on the display, then use (country code) (area code) (local number). For example, if you’re texting a number in the U.K., dial + 44 (area code) (local number).
If you're outside the U.S. and texting international numbers or the U.S.
- To text a number in the country you’re visiting: Use (area code) (local number).
- To text another country: Touch and hold 0 until you see + on the display, then use (country code) (area code) (local number). For example, if you’re messaging a number in the U.K. from Japan, dial + 44 (area code) (local number).
- If this number format doesn’t work, you can also try using the exit code of the country you are visiting. Use (exit code) (destination country code) (area code) (local number).
- To text a number in the U.S.: Just use 1 (area code) (local number).
If so, ask your contact to make sure the messages are sent as SMS/MMS.
Check the coverage map for U.S. locations. If you’re using your phone outside the U.S., check the 170+ supported countries where you can use Google Fi.
If we have coverage in your location: Try going to another spot nearby where you have a signal. If you're inside a building or underground, try going outside. Buildings can sometimes block signals. If that doesn't work, continue on to the next steps.
If we don't have coverage in your location: Connect to Wi-Fi so you can try sending messages over Wi-Fi.
Restarting your phone gives it a fresh start and is sometimes all you need to fix your issue. To restart your phone, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the Power button until the menu pops up.
- Tap Power off, and your phone will turn off.
- Press and hold the Power button until your phone starts.