Gmail & your child's Google Account
When you use Family Link to create a Google Account for your child under 13 or the applicable age in your country, they can use Gmail to send and receive email.
How Gmail works
For the most part, Gmail will be the same for children as it is for adults. There are only a few Gmail features that aren't available to children:
- Ads: Google won't serve ads in Gmail, or process Gmail messages for advertising purposes.
- Automatic forwarding: Children can't automatically forward emails to another email address.
- Gmail offline: If their device isn't connected to the Internet, children can’t read, send, or search their Gmail emails.
- Google+: Children can't use any Google+ features available in Gmail.
- Labs: Children can’t turn on experimental Gmail features.
- Mail delegation: Children can't give someone else access to read, send, or delete their emails.
- Spam: If Gmail identifies an email as spam, it won't get delivered to your child's inbox or spam folder.
Block an email address
When you block someone's email address in Gmail on your child's device, your child won't receive emails from that address. This only blocks this address from contacting your child in Gmail.
On your child's device, block the email address. Make sure to use instructions for the type of device your child is using.
Report emails as spam
If Gmail missed a spam email, report the email. Make sure to use instructions for the type of device your child is using.
Your child's Family Link photo won’t show in Gmail.
Only your family members can see your child's picture in the Family Link app.
Parents can access their child's account by signing in to the child's account on their device. If you don't know the password, you can reset their password.
To make sure that emails make it to your child's inbox, add the sender's email address to your child's contact list.
- On your child's device, open the Contacts app. If you don't see the Contacts app, make sure it isn't blocked.
- In the bottom right, tap Add people .
- Type the contact's name and email address.
- Tap Done .