Join or leave a class as a co-teacher
This article is for teachers
A teacher can invite you to teach in their class as a co-teacher. Co-teachers can perform all teacher tasks after they join a class. However, primary teachers and co-teachers have different permissions in Classroom.
Some important differences are:
- Only the primary teacher can delete a class.
- The primary teacher can't unenroll or be removed from a class.
- Teachers can't be muted in a class.
- The primary teacher owns the class Google Drive folder. After a co-teacher joins the class, the co-teacher has access to the class Drive folder.
Your G Suite administrator might only allow teachers from your school to join classes. If you’re having trouble being added to a class, contact your admin to update your domain's class membership settings.
If you leave a class you co-teach, you can't open it again unless you're re-invited or enrolled as a student in the class.
- On the class card, click Accept if you want to teach the class. If not, click Decline.
Note: If you're a student in the class, clicking Decline doesn't remove you from the class.
- (Optional) You can accept the invitation by clicking the link in the email invitation.
As a co-teacher, you have 2 ways to leave a class.
From the Classes page:
- On the class you want to leave, click More Leave class.
- To confirm, click Leave class.
From the People page:
- Across from your name, click More Leave Class.
- To confirm, click Leave Class.
Share files with the primary teacher before leaving a class
On the class card, click Open folder .
In the top-left corner, click New select an option:
Folder—To add a new folder to the class Drive for your files.
File upload—To upload a previously created file.
Folder upload—To upload a previously created folder.