We add new features to Classroom frequently. This page provides a description of each new feature and a link to more information on using it in Classroom. Check this page each month to see what we added.
Blog post (English only)
- SIS Grade Export—If you use Classroom with G Suite for Education, you can export grades directly to your student information system (SIS). This feature is currently available for Infinite Campus only. More SIS partnerships are in development.
- Originality report updates—Originality reports have 4 new features:
- You can now run originality reports in English, Indonesian, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, and Swedish.
- G Suite Enterprise for Education institutions will soon be able to check against other student submissions from their school.
- Teachers and students can print or save originality reports.
- Class invite links—In addition to email invites and class codes, teachers can now invite students with a link.
This feature is rolling out over the next week.
- To-do updates—Teachers and students can now open the To-do page from the Classes page.
- Applied Digital Skills—If you use Applied Digital Skills, it is now better integrated with Classroom.
- Coming soon—
- Classroom will be available in 10 more languages.
- Teachers will be able to share an assignment with a link.
- Admins will be able to review audit logs and Classroom analytics.
Only teachers can create video meetings in Classroom. All video meetings created in Classroom are considered nicknamed meetings, so students can’t start a meeting before the teacher, or rejoin the meeting if the teacher is the last participant to leave. These permissions can vary based on how your admin sets up Meet for your school.
To use Meet in Classroom:
- Teachers and students must use school accounts and be in the same domain.
- Admins have to turn on Google Meet.
Admins can find more support in Set up Meet for distance learning.
In addition, premium G Suite Enterprise for Education features are available for free to all Classroom educators using G Suite for Education through September 30, 2020. These features include live streaming, recording, and 250-person class video meetings.
Video meetings are available on the web and mobile versions of Classroom.
- Originality reports—Teachers can now turn on originality reports for 3 assignments per class. For students, the reports highlight source material in their work and flag missing citations so they can improve their writing. After students submit work, teachers can view reports to verify academic integrity and provide feedback from the grading tool.
Admins can upgrade to unlimited originality reports with G Suite Enterprise for Education.
- Rubrics—Teachers can now create and reuse rubrics. As students complete work, they can check an assignment’s rubric to help stay on track. When teachers grade rubrics, level selections automatically calculate a total grade that can also be adjusted manually. After work is returned, students can quickly check their rubric feedback.
More about rubrics:
- Customizable—Up to 50 criteria and 10 performance levels
- Shareable—Import and export options when you create assignments
- Reusable—Reuse a rubric in another assignment
Note: Rubrics is rolling out course by course, and will be fully available in a few days.
New mobile features:
- See overall grades—If teachers share overall grades, students can see their overall grades on a mobile device (Android and iOS).
- See rubrics—Teachers and students can see an assignment's rubric on a mobile device (Android and iOS).
New beta programs:
New mobile features:
- View rubrics beta—Teachers and students can now view rubrics on their Android or iOS device.
- Updated iOS app—In an assignment, students tap Your work to view their files.
- Classroom with the Classwork page—All classes now have the Classwork page. The previous version of Classroom without the Classwork page was discontinued. Classes that used the previous version were converted to include the Classwork page on September 4, 2019.
To learn more about the conversion, go to Classroom classes without the Classwork page.
- Originality reports beta—You can now sign up for Originality reports beta. Teachers can turn on Originality reports when they create an assignment. For more information, go to Sign up for Classroom beta programs.
- Archive a class—Teachers can now archive classes on iOS mobile devices.
- Redesigned student assignment page—Students can submit work and communicate with their teachers easier than ever. For details, go to Submit an assignment.
- The Grades page—Teachers can record and return grades from the Grades page.
- Grading systems—Teachers can select a grading system for each of their classes.
- Grade categories—Teachers can assign grade categories to classwork posts.
- Overall grade—If a teacher chooses, students can see their overall grade for a class.
- Docs grading tool—Teachers can give feedback and assign grades from the Docs grading tool.
New beta programs:
- Sync grades to your SIS—Teachers can push grades directly from Classroom to their student information system (SIS). To express interest, admins can go to the beta interest sign-up form.
- Rubrics—Teachers can create and save custom rubrics to grade assignments and share feedback with students. To express interest, teachers or admins can go to the rubrics beta sign-up form.
New Android features:
- New tablet grading view—On tablets, teachers can add grades to a list of submissions on the left, and give individual student feedback on the right.
- The Settings page gets a new look.
New iOS feature:
- Student selector—Teachers can randomly select students to call on with the Student selector.
- Changes to private comment notifications—You can now turn private comment notifications on or off. You’ll also receive them separately from other work notifications.
- New look—Fresh new design and lots of new themes.
- Drag-and-drop classwork—Quickly organize entire topics or individual posts on the Classwork page.
- Quickly see and share a class code—Class codes now at the top of the Stream page for each class.
- Swipe for options—Quickly delete or edit posts by swiping left on your mobile screen (iOS only).
Go to the Classroom updates archive.