Create a class
This page is for teachers. Students go here.
- Click Add Create class.
- Enter the class name.
- (Optional) Enter text, such as grade level or class time.
- (Optional) Enter a subject or click one from the list that appears when you enter text.
- Click Create.
Next steps: Classroom automatically creates a class code when you create a new class. You use it to invite students to the class. If you want, you can change the class theme and display a profile photo. You can archive a class if you no longer need it. For details, see Archive a class.
The administrator who manages Classroom can create classes for you and add students to them. Classes created by your administrator are in a provisioned state. You need to sign in to Classroom to accept or decline the classes before they're visible to any students or co-teachers.
- On the class card, click Accept.
- Confirm the number of students and activation of the class and click Accept.
Note: To learn more about provisioning classes, see the Classroom API resources.
After you create a class, you can change the default image or color pattern that's displayed at the top of the class stream. Only a teacher can change the theme.
Choose a different theme image from the gallery
- Click the class and at the bottom of the image, click Select theme.
- Choose an option:
- Select an image from the gallery and then click Select class theme.
- Click Patterns, select a color and pattern, and click Select class theme.
Upload your own theme image
- Open the class and at the bottom of the image, click Upload photo.
- Choose an option:
- Drag a photo from your computer to the middle of the screen.
- Click Select a photo from your computer, choose the image you want to use for your class, and click Open.
- Click Select class theme.
- On the class card, click More Edit.
- Enter a new name, section, or subject, and click Save.
Problem creating a class?
If you have a G Suite for Education account and you’re unable to add a class, the Classroom G Suite administrator might need to verify that you’re a teacher. Contact your administrator for help. If you’re the administrator, see how you can set permissions to create a class.
Note: If you have a personal Google Account, there are limits on the number of classes you can create. Learn more about Classroom limits.