Invite your students to a class
To enroll students in your class, you need to invite them or give them a code to add themselves. If you use Google Groups, you can also invite a group of students at the same time.
Invite students or groups of students
- Click the class you want to add students or groups to.
- At the top, click People Invite .
- You can invite individual students or a group. Enter the student’s or group’s email address.
As you enter text, an autocomplete list might appear.
- From the Search results, click a student or group or click Add recipient.
- (Optional) To invite more students or groups, repeat steps 4-5.
- Click Invite.
- The class list is updated to show the names of invited students. Invited students receive an email. To join the class, the student must sign in to Classroom and click Join on the class card.
- To invite students using Google Groups, you don't have to be the owner or a member of the group, but you must be able to view group members and view email addresses. If you can't see the list, contact your administrator to change the permissions.
Give students a code to add themselves
- Click the class Settings .
- There are a few ways to give the code to your students. Choose an option:
- Give the students these instructions:
- Sign in to Classroom at classroom.google.com.
- On the homepage, click Add Join class.
- Enter the code and click Join.
Invite students from outside the school domain
You can invite students from outside your school’s or organization’s domain if your school’s IT administrator has enabled the setting. Contact an administrator for help.
If the setting is enabled, you can invite students from other domains the same way you invite people from your domain. See Invite students or groups of students or Give students a code to add themselves.
If you’re an administrator, see Configure class settings to turn the setting on or off.
Reset or disable a class code
If students have a problem using the class code, you can reset it. You can also disable the code.
- Click the class Settings .
- Click the code Reset or Disable.
- (Optional) To enable a disabled code, click the code Enable.
- Click Close to return to the class stream.
Class size limits
G Suite for Education accounts
For teachers with a G Suite for Education account, Classroom has the following size limitations for each class:
- Maximum number of teachers: 20
- Maximum number of members (teachers and students): 1,000
Note: Classroom uses Google Groups for all students and teachers. Each person can only be in a certain number of groups. See the Membership section of Understand Groups policies and limits for details.
Personal Google Accounts
Teachers with a personal Google Account also have additional limits on activity, such as creating classes or inviting students. Learn more about Policies and limits.