Create a class
At the top of the Classes page, click Add Create class.
Note: If you don’t see Create class, your account only lets you join classes. Switch accounts or contact your Google Workspace administrator for help.
- Enter the class name.
- (Optional) To enter a short description, grade level, or class time, click Section and enter the details.
- (Optional) To add a subject, click Subject and enter a name or click one from the list that appears when you enter text.
- (Optional) To enter the location for the class, click Room and enter the details.
- Click Create.
Classroom automatically creates a class code that you can use to invite students to the class. You can always get the class code at the top of the class stream.
Complete other common tasksAccept a provisioned class
- On the class card, click Accept.
- Confirm the number of students and activation of the class and click Accept.
Note: To learn more about provisioning classes, go to Classroom API resources.
After you create a class, you can change the default image or color pattern that's displayed at the top of the class stream.
Important: Only a teacher can change the theme.
- Go to classroom.google.com.
- Click the class Customize .
- To choose a theme image from the gallery:
- Click Select photo photo Select class theme.
- Tip: To view more photos, click subject names above the gallery.
- To upload a theme image, click Upload photo and choose an option:
- Drag a photo from your computer to the middle of the screen.
- Click Select a photo your image Open.
- To change the theme color, under Select theme color, click any color.
- Click Save.
- On the class card, click More Edit.
- Enter a new name, section, subject, or roomclick Save.
Problem creating a class?
- If you have a Google Workspace for Education account but can't add a class, your Google Workspace administrator might need to verify that you’re a teacher. Contact your administrator for help. For instructions, administrators can go to Verify teachers and set permissions.
- If you have a personal Google Account, there are limits on the number of classes that you can create. Learn more about Classroom limits.