Assignments makes Google Docs and Google Drive compatible with Canvas for file submissions. With Assignments, you can save time distributing and grading student work. You can also check the authenticity of student submissions with originality reports.
Note: If your school uses the Canvas Google Apps LTI tool (also referred to as Google Cloud Assignment), we recommend that you install Assignments. Canvas will deprecate the Google Apps LTI tool in September 2021 and Assignments is intended to replace it.
How does Assignments improve on Google Apps LTI?
- Assignments is officially supported by Google and covered by the G Suite for Education Terms of Service.
- Administrators can require students to use their school-issued Google Accounts.
- Assignments uses Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) 1.3 for more robust security.
- Assignments is more stable and reliable.
Assignments includes all the features of the Google Apps LTI tool, except Canvas Collaborations. This feature is coming soon.
How can I use Assignments and Drive in Canvas?Use Assignments as an external tool for assignments
- Create a new Canvas assignment.
- Next to Submission Type, select External Tool.
- Click Find and choose Google Assignments.
You can use SpeedGrader to grade students’ Drive files. However, you won’t be able to use the features included in Assignments. For details, go to Use SpeedGrader with Drive files in Canvas.
Anyone in the class can view the embedded class materials, including class observers, such as parents, without needing to sign in with a Google Account.
To embed files with the rich text editor:
- In the rich text editor, on the right, click the Apps icon.
- Click Google DriveSelect File.
- Find the file and click AddAttach.
Add a Drive file to a Module
- Sign in to Canvas.
- Open the course.
- Click ModulesAdd Item .
- Next to Add, click the Down arrow External Tool.
- Click Google Drive.
- Sign in to your Google Accountclick Allow.
- Click Select fileselect the Google Drive fileAdd.
- Click AttachAdd Item.
FAQIf my organization uses Google Apps LTI, can we also use Assignments?
Yes. Both Assignments and the Google Apps LTI tool can be installed simultaneously. However, instructors and students will see duplicate options if both tools are available in the same course.
For information on how to hide the Google Apps LTI tool, contact Canvas support or refer to this community forum post.
No. Currently, you can’t embed a form or select one as a file type for quizzes. To use Forms for quizzes, create a form and share the link with your students. Learn how to create a Google Form.
- Set up Assignments in Canvas
- Set up Assignments in Schoology or another LMS
- Set up Assignments in Blackboard
- Set up Assignments in D2L/Brightspace
- Set up Assignments in Moodle
- Set up Assignments in Sakai
Google, Google Workspace, and related marks and logos are trademarks of Google LLC. All other company and product names are trademarks of the companies with which they are associated.