Apply a DS bid strategy to keywords
When you apply a bid strategy to keywords, DoubleClick Search (DS) will use the properties you set in the bid strategy to determine the keywords' bids. You can, however, set min and max bids at the keyword level when you apply the bid strategy.
DS will never bid below the min bid or above the max bid.
If you don’t set min and max bids at the keyword level, DS will use the min and max bids from the bid strategy level.
If you need to change a keyword’s bid quickly, you can manually override the bid.
Follow these steps to apply a bid strategy to keywords:
Navigate to a keywords report.
For example, navigate to a campaign and click the Keywords tab.
Specify the keywords to which you want to apply a bid strategy by doing either of the following in the reporting table:
- Select the check boxes next to the keywords.
- Filter the table to display only the keywords that you want.
In the toolbar above the table, click the Edit ▼ button, and then click Change bid strategy.
The panel where you can select a bid strategy appears.
Under New bid strategy, click DoubleClick Search bid strategies.
In the right panel, under DoubleClick Search, click the down arrow▼ to display the list of bid strategies that have been created in the engine account.
Select one of the following items from the bid strategy list:
A bid strategy: The keyword will use the selected bid strategy instead of any bid strategy specified for the campaign or ad group.
No bid strategy (manual bidding): The keyword will never be managed by a bid strategy until you change this setting.
- Select the Set min/max bid check box.
Min bid and Max bid determine the lowest and highest amounts that a bid strategy will set for a keywords max CPC.
You can use the default min and max bids specified at the bid strategy level, or you can specify the min and max bid for the selected keywords.
- Do one of the following:
- To use the default bids, select the Use min and max bids set at bid strategy level check box.
- To specify the min and max bids at the keyword level, enter the bids. Note that the max CPC of each selected keyword must be greater than the min bid and less than the max bid.
- Optional. Schedule the change.
- Click Save.
Specify min and max bids in a bulksheet
- Download a keywords report and select the Editable columns (for re-upload) option.
- In the downloaded bulksheet's Bid strategy column, enter the bid strategy name.
- Enter the values in the Min Bid and Max Bid columns.
- To revert that keyword back to the default bids, enter inherited in the Min Bid and Max Bid columns.
After you apply a DS bid strategy, you can monitor bid strategy performance.