Apply a DS bid strategy to keywords
When you apply a bid strategy to keywords, DoubleClick Search (DS) will use the properties you set in the bid strategy to determine the keywords' bids. You can, however, set min and max bids at the keyword level when you apply the bid strategy.
DS will never bid below the min bid or above the max bid.
If you don’t set min and max bids at the keyword level, DS will use the min and max bids from the bid strategy level.
If you need to change a keyword’s bid quickly, you can manually override the bid.
Follow these steps to apply a bid strategy to keywords:
Navigate to a keywords report.
For example, navigate to a campaign and click the Keywords tab.
Specify the keywords to which you want to apply a bid strategy by doing either of the following in the reporting table:
- Select the check boxes next to the keywords.
- Filter the table to display only the keywords that you want.
In the toolbar above the table, click the Edit ▼ button, and then click Change bid strategy.
The panel where you can select a bid strategy appears.
Under New bid strategy, do the following, depending on the type of account:
- Click DoubleClick Search bid strategies.
- In the right panel, under DoubleClick Search bid strategy, click the arrow▼ to display the list of DS bid strategies.
- Click the arrow▼ to display the list of DS bid strategies.
Select any of the following items from the bid strategy list:
A bid strategy: The keyword will use the selected bid strategy instead of any bid strategy specified for the campaign or ad group.
No bid strategy (manual bidding): The keyword will never be managed by a bid strategy until you change this setting.
Inherit from parent: The keyword will inherit the bid strategy from the campaign or ad group.
Optional: Specify a range for keyword bids to set the lowest (Min bid) and highest (Max bid) amounts that a bid strategy will set for a keyword's max CPC.
You can use the default min and max bids specified at the bid strategy level, or you can specify the min and max bid for the selected keywords.
Select the Set min/max bid check box.
- Do one of the following:
- To use the default bids, select the Use min and max bids set at bid strategy level check box.
- To specify the min and max bids at the keyword level, under Min bid or Max bid, click the arrow ▼, select Set to, and then enter the bid. Set to is selected by default. Note that the max CPC of each selected keyword must be greater than the min bid and less than the max bid.
- To increase bids by a percentage or a specific amount, under Min bid or Max bid, click the arrow ▼, select Increase by, and then enter a number. To switch from an amount or percentage, click the arrow ▼ on the last line and select amount or percent.
- To decrease bids by a percentage or a specific amount, under Min bid or Max bid, click the arrow ▼, select Decrease by, and then enter a number. To switch from an amount or percentage, click the arrow ▼ on the last line and select amount or percent.
- To use the current bid for the min or max bid, under Min bid or Max bid, click the arrow ▼, and then select Use current value.
- To use a formula column to set the bid, under Min bid or Max bid, click the arrow ▼, and then select Set to formula column. On the next line, click the arrow ▼, and then select one of the formula columns.
- Optional. Schedule the change.
- Click Save.
Specify min and max bids in a bulksheet
- Download a keywords report and select the Editable columns (for re-upload) option.
- In the downloaded bulksheet's Bid strategy column, enter the bid strategy name.
- Enter the values in the Min Bid and Max Bid columns.
- To revert that keyword back to the default bids, enter inherited in the Min Bid and Max Bid columns.
After you apply a DS bid strategy, you can monitor bid strategy performance.