Apply a bid strategy to keywords
When you apply a bid strategy to keywords, DoubleClick Search (DS) will use the properties you set in the bid strategy to determine the keywords' bids. You can, however, set min and max bids at the keyword level when you apply the bid strategy.
DS will never bid below the min bid or above the max bid.
If you don’t set min and max bids at the keyword level, DS will use the min and max bids from the bid strategy level.
If you need to change a keyword’s bid quickly, you can manually override the bid.
Follow these steps to apply a bid strategy to keywords:
Navigate to a keywords report.
For example, navigate to a campaign and click the Keywords tab.
Select the check boxes next to the keywords to which you want to apply a bid strategy.
In the toolbar above the table, click Bid strategy.
The panel where you can select a bid strategy appears.
Select a bid strategy.
- In the Min bid/Max bid area, you can see the default min and max bids that are set at the bid strategy level:
- To use these default bids, leave the Use min and max bids set at bid strategy level check box selected.
- To specify the min and max bids at the keyword level, deselect the Use min and max bids set at bid strategy level check box and enter the bids under Keyword. Note that the max CPC of each selected keyword must be greater than the min bid and less than the max bid.
- To specify min and mix bids for some keywords while allowing others to use the default bids:
- Click Save to finish applying the bid strategy to the keywords.
- In the reporting table, select the checkbox next to the keywords you want to specify min and max bids for.
Instead of selecting individual keywords, you can use a filter to display only the keywords you want to update.
- Click Edit in the toolbar above the reporting table, then select Change min/max bids from the edit list.
- Enter min and max bids, then click Save in the edit panel.
- Download a keywords report and select the Editable columns (for re-upload) option.
- In the downloaded bulksheet's Bid strategy column, enter the bid strategy name.
- Enter the values in the Bid Strategy Min Bid and Bid Strategy Max Bid columns.
- To revert that keyword back to the default bids, enter inherited in the Bid Strategy Min Bid and Bid Strategy Max Bid columns.
The bid strategy icon appears next to the keywords in the table.
After you apply a bid strategy, you can monitor bid strategy performance.