Edit Google documents on Android
You can edit your Google documents within the Android app whenever your mobile device has an Internet connection. Editing is available in all supported languages for the Google Drive Android app, including those with right-to-left text.
To begin editing a Google document:
- Open the Drive app for Android.
- Find the document you want to edit.
- Touch the place in your document where you’d like to make an edit.
- Begin making your edits.
Choose text formatting
When you’re in edit mode, the toolbar at the top of your document lets you make formatting changes like bolding and underlining text, changing your font style and color, and creating bulleted and numbered lists.
On phones and tablets with small screens, scroll the formatting toolbar to show more formatting options.
|Select font, font size, and style|
|Change the font color or background color of your text|
|Choose the alignment of your text|
|Choose the number of rows and columns and insert a table|
|Add a numbered list|
|Add a bulleted list|
|Indent your paragraphs|
|Unindent your paragraphs|
Copy and paste
To select a word, double tap or touch and hold it for 2-3 seconds. Use the blue markers to expand your text selection.
A number of options will appear in a gray menu:
|Select all text in the document|
|Add a comment|
You can cut and paste or copy and paste text within or across documents in the Android app. However, text copied from one document and pasted into another will be pasted without formatting.
To return to view mode after selecting text, touch the Done or Checkmark buttons in the top left of your screen.
Select style, font, and font size
You can change the appearance of your text using the style, font, and font size options within a document.
- Open the document.
- Highlight specific text that you want to change.
- Choose Fonts in the toolbar at the top of your screen.
- Touch any of the "Styles," "Fonts," and "Size" options that appear to change your text.
- Once you've made your selections, your changes will automatically be applied.
Edit tables and images
The Drive app lets you view and edit tables in your Google documents.
- Touch into the cell you want to modify within a table.
- Begin making your text edits.
Unfortunately, you can’t create new tables or make changes to images in the Android app.