This article gives you the steps to connect a site developed with Google Sites to your subdomain. Google Sites is a tool that lets you easily create websites using structured templates. Learn more about Google Sites.
To add your subdomain as a web address for a site you created on Google Sites, you first need to create a CNAME record in Google Domains. To create a CNAME record:
- Sign in to Google Domains.
- Select the name of your domain.
- Open the Menu .
- Click DNS.
- Scroll to Custom resource records.
- In the “@” field, enter the subdomain of the web address you want to use with the Google Site, such as, “
- Click the “A” field dropdown and select CNAME.
In the “Domain name” field, enter
- Click Add.
Add a web address in Google Sites
The steps to add a web address in Google Sites are different based on whether you created a site with a regular Gmail account or an account through G Suite. Follow the steps below based on your Google Account.
Follow the steps below based on whether you created a site on new or classic Google Sites.
New Google Sites
You can add up to 5 URLs to your Google site by following these steps:
- On a computer, open your site in new Google Sites.
- At the top, click More Custom URLs.
- Enter your custom URL.
- Click Assign.
Learn more about how to use a custom URL for your site.
Classic Google Sites
To add a web address in classic Google Sites, follow these steps:
- Sign in to classic Google Sites, and go to the site you’re integrating with your domain.
- Click the More actions menu in the top right corner.
- Select Manage site.
- On the left side of the Manage site page, click Web address.
- Under Add a web address, enter the address of the subdomain you’re using, for example subdomain.example.com.
- To add your address, click Add at the top of the page.
To add a web address in Google Sites if you have an account through G Suite, follow the steps below:
Note: Before taking these steps, make sure you’ve created a CNAME record in Google Domains.
- Open the Google Admin console.
- From the Admin console homepage, go to Apps G Suite Sites.
- Click Custom URL Click + to add a custom URL.
- Select site type: New Sites or Classic Sites and click Continue.
- Enter your Google Sites URL and click Continue.
- Enter the subdomain (Example: www) you want to use and click Continue.
- Click Add custom URL.
Note: Depending on your location, DNS changes may take a propagation period of several minutes or up to 48 hours to take effect across the entire internet.