- Privacy protection on: Does not provide your personal contact information
- Privacy protection off: Provides some or all of your personal contact information.
However, depending upon the registry, parts of information (Organization name, address and email ID) in WHOIS may be published or redacted regardless of privacy protection status.
About privacy protection
Privacy protection helps you avoid spam and contact information abuse. With privacy protection on, when someone does a WHOIS lookup for your domain, they see alternate contact information provided by a third-party privacy provider. For example:
You can change your privacy setting at any time. Follow these steps:
- Open Google Domains.
- In the left navigation, click My domains.
- Select the name of the domain whose privacy setting you want to change.
- Scroll to Privacy protection.
- Select a privacy option:
- Privacy protection on (private registration).
- Privacy protection off (public registration)
Public registration for .com and .net domains
Domains that end in .com and .net automatically redact (or hide) some registration information in WHOIS lookups, even if you’re using public registration. By default, only the following information shows:
- Organization name
Proxy contact information
For TLDs .com or .net, if your WHOIS information is redacted, we generally provide you with a proxy email address, such as obrs8XXXlje@proxyregistrant.email for that domain. If someone wants to contact you about your domain, they can reach you via that email address.
Messages sent to your proxy email address are forwarded to the registrant contact email address you shared. You do not need to perform any steps to set up this email address or email forwarding. To view your proxy email address, perform a WHOIS lookup. Note that the proxy email address for each domain is dynamic and likely to change every 5 to 30 days.
With .com and .net domains, you have the option to publish all of your information. Follow these steps:
- Change your privacy registration setting to Privacy protection off.
- Select Publish your info in the WHOIS directory.
- Select I agree on the consent dialog.