Email forwarding is a Google Domains feature that lets you create and use an alias to receive email. You can create up to 100 alias email addresses for your domain. There's no cost for using email forwarding.
How to set up email forwarding
To set up email forwarding, do the following:
- Sign in to Google Domains.
- Select the name of your domain.
- In the left-hand navigation panel, click Email.
- Scroll to the Email forwarding section.
- Enter the alias email address name.
- Enter the recipient email address where you'd like to receive email that users send to your alias.
- Click Add.
How to activate email forwarding
In most cases, you must take a few final steps to activate email forwarding. Google Domains sends a confirmation email to the recipient address. Follow the instructions in that email to activate email forwarding.
In the following cases, Google does not send a confirmation email, and email forwarding begins immediately:
- You've previously verified the recipient address with Google Domains for another forwarded email alias.
- The recipient address is the same address that you use to sign in to Google Domains.
If your recipient email address is a Gmail address, you can make it appear that you're sending email from an alias (instead of from your Gmail recipient address).
To send email from an alias, follow these steps:
- Sign in to the Gmail account that you want to forward the email to.
- To bring up the user menu, click your username or the user icon in the upper-right corner.
- Click Google Account.
- In the left-side menu, click Security.
- Under Signing in to Google, click App passwords and sign in if required.
You must have 2-Step Verification enabled for the App passwords option to be available. If it's not, click 2-Step Verification and follow the steps to enable it. Then, continue to set the App password.
- In the App passwords box, select Mail for the app, and select Other for the device.
- Enter the name of your domain for the 'other' device, and click Generate.
- The generated app password box will display a 16-character password. Copy this password. You'll need it when you add your new send-as (forwarded) account.
- Return to your Gmail inbox.
- In the top-right corner, click Settings .
- Select Settings from the drop-down menu.
- In the Settings screen, click the Accounts tab.
- Scroll down to 'Send mail as' and click Add another email address.
- In the window that opens, enter the following information:
- Name: Enter the name that you want recipients of your email to see (e.g. 'Support Team', 'Sales' or any other name for this contact).
- Email address: Enter the email alias that you're setting up.
Note: Make sure that 'Treat as an alias' has a tick.
- Click Next step.
- Change the values in the fields to the following:
- SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
- Port: 465
- Note: We recommend that you select 'Secured connection using SSL'.
- Username: Your Gmail account (the one that you're signed in to and where email is forwarded).
- Password: The generated app password that you copied in Step 8.
- Click Add Account.
Note: If you see an error message, check to make sure that all the information was entered correctly.
- After you've successfully added the account, return to your Gmail inbox. You'll see an email from 'Gmail Team' with the subject 'Gmail Confirmation: Send Mail As' and the address that you've just added. Follow the instructions in the email to confirm the email address.
- When you send mail from your Gmail account, click the triangle next to your 'From' address to choose which email address to send the message from.
For more information on how to send mail from your forwarded address in Gmail, visit the Gmail help centre.
Tips for email forwarding
Use the following tips to get the most out of email forwarding.
- Test email forwarding. Make sure that your setup is working as you expect. Learn how to test email forwarding.
- Forward multiple aliases to a single recipient email. Use the wildcard (*) symbol as your alias email address name. This symbol indicates that any alias at your domain name should forward to your recipient email address (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org all go to email@example.com).
- Make sure that multiple people see all forwarded email. Create a Google group of individuals' email addresses, and use that group alias as your recipient email address. Set the group's permissions so that 'public' or 'everyone' can post email to the group.
Technical details for email forwarding
Email forwarding only works when you're using the Google name servers. Learn more about name servers for your domain.
When you set up email forwarding, Google Domains automatically creates MX resource records. If you change these records, email forwarding breaks. Learn more about resource records.