Email forwarding is a Google Domains feature that lets you create and use an alias to receive email. You can create up to 100 alias email addresses for your domain. There is no cost for using email forwarding.
How to set up email forwarding
To set up email forwarding, do the following:
- Navigate to Google Domains: domains.google.com/registrar.
- In the left navigation, click My domains.
- Find the domain name you’d like to set up email forwarding for. Select the Email tab.
- Scroll to the Email forwarding section.
- Enter the alias email address name.
- Enter the recipient email address where you’d like to receive email users send to your alias.
- Click Add.
How to activate email forwarding
In most cases, you must take a few final steps to activate email forwarding. Google Domains sends a confirmation email to the recipient address. Follow the instructions in that email to activate email forwarding.
In the following cases, Google does not send a confirmation email, and email forwarding begins immediately:
- You’ve previously verified the recipient address with Google Domains for another forwarded email alias
- The recipient address is the same address you use to log in to Google Domains
Tips for email forwarding
Use the following tips to get the most out of email forwarding.
- Test email forwarding. Make sure your setup is working as you expect. Learn how to test email forwarding.
- Forward multiple aliases to a single recipient email. Use the wildcard (*) symbol as your alias email address name. This symbol indicates that any alias at your domain name should forward to your recipient email address (e.g. email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com all go to firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Be sure multiple people see all forwarded emails. Create a Google group of individuals’ email addresses, and use that group alias as your recipient email address. Set the group’s permissions so that "public" or "everyone" can post emails to the group.
- Send email from your email alias. If your recipient email address is a Gmail address, you can make it appear that you’re sending email from the alias (instead of from your Gmail recipient address).
- First, generate an app password for your Google domain. In step #2, choose Other and enter your full domain name.
- Then, follow the steps to send emails from a different address or alias. Use this SMTP information:
- SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
- Port: 465
- Username: Your Gmail account (the one you are logged in as)
- Password: The generated app password you created
Technical details for email forwarding
Email forwarding only works when you're using the Google name servers. Learn more about name servers for your domain.
When you set up email forwarding, Google Domains automatically creates MX resource records. If you change these records, email forwarding breaks. Learn more about resource records.