Edit and format a document
If you want to edit your text, there are a number of options in the toolbar. Select any text you want to change and then choose from the following options:
- Font (shows current font)
- Font size (shows current size)
- Change text color
- Change highlight color
Change font style
To change the style of font you're using, or to create a header:
- Open a document and select the text you want to change.
- Click Format > Paragraph styles.
- Choose a font or header style for the selected text.
- Click Apply [style].
You can also change how a style appears in a document. Select the text with the style you want copied, and click Format > Paragraph Styles > Update [style] to match.
You can edit the alignment of paragraphs and line spacing in a document.
Change line spacing
- Open a document and select the lines you want to change.
- In the toolbar, click Line spacing .
- Select an option from the menu. To choose a custom value for spacing, click Custom spacing.
Note: You can also add space before or after a paragraph from the menu.
Change paragraph alignment
- Open a document and select the paragraph you want to change.
- In the toolbar, choose one of the alignment options:
- Left align
- Center align
- Right align
You can quickly make changes to all text with the same formatting.
- Open a document and select text that you want to change.
- Right-click and choose Select all matching text.
- All text with the same formatting will be selected. You can now change the formatting for the selected text.
The types of formatting that are recognized as matching include:
Font size, color, or weight
Mary is a Docs & Drive expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.