All files uploaded to Drive or created in Docs, Sheets, and Slides are encrypted in transit and at rest with AES256 bit encryption. For additional confidentiality, your organization can allow you to encrypt Drive, Docs, Sheets, and Slides files with Workspace Client-side encryption. Encrypted files have some limitations from standard files. You can also upload any Drive file types like PDFs and Office as encrypted Drive files.
Important: To encrypt Drive, Docs, Sheets, and Slides files with Workspace Client-side encryption:
- You must have a Workspace account.
- Your administrator must enable client-side encryption.
- You must verify your identity.
You can download or preview an encrypted file on your iPhone or iPad if your admin has turned on the setting. Learn more about how to download a file from Google Drive.
To make, copy, or upload an encrypted file, go to drive.google.com on your computer.
- This feature is available for file types supported by Google Drive, including Microsoft Office and PDF files.
- Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides are not yet supported.