About non-personalized ads
Publishers may sell inventory for users who haven't given consent to be served personalized ads. In order to buy this inventory, you need to use a line item (or line items) that don't use any types of personalization features and thus are eligible to buy non-personalized ad inventory.
What are non-personalized ads?
Non-personalized ads are ads that are not based on a user’s past behavior. They are targeted using contextual information, including coarse (such as city-level) geo-targeting based on current location, and content on the current site or app or current query terms. Google disallows all interest-based audience targeting, including demographic targeting and user list targeting.
What are "personalized ads"?
Guidelines for non-personalized ads
In order to purchase non-personalized ad inventory, a line item's targeting and creatives must adhere to these guidelines.
The following types of targeting can be used to buy non-personalized ad inventory:
- Inventory source targeting.
- Brand safety targeting.
- Apps, channels, and website targeting.
- Contextual keywords.
- Category targeting.
- Content-based audience targeting, such as affinity audience targeting, in-market audience targeting, and similar audiences targeting, will work with non-personalized ad inventory because it's generated solely using contextual signals when serving on non-personalized ad inventory.
- Environment targeting.
- Viewability targeting.
- Language targeting.
- Day & time targeting.
- Browser targeting.
- Device targeting.
- Video targeting.
- Position targeting.
The following types of targeting are prohibited:
- Other types of audience targeting. This includes audience list targeting, similar audience targeting, installed app category targeting, new mobile device targeting, and other types of audience targeting.
- Geography targeting that's more granular than city-level targeting (for example, ZIP code or postal code).
- Demographic targeting.
- Connection speed, carrier, and ISP targeting.
The following guidelines apply to creatives assigned to line items that are intended to serve to non-personalized ad inventory:
- Creatives must be served by Display & Video 360 or Campaign Manager. Third-party ad servers aren't allowed.
- HTML5 and custom display creatives aren't allowed.
- Creatives can't contain any extra HTML or tracking pixels from any third party or Google.
- Creatives served using third-party tags or third-party wrappers aren't allowed.
- VAST creatives hosted by third parties aren't supported. However, VAST creatives served by Campaign Manager are allowed.
- VAST creatives with HTML5 companions or externally hosted media files aren't allowed.
- If you're targeting programmatic guaranteed or deal inventory, make sure your backup creative follows the above guidelines in order to be eligible to serve to non-personalized ad inventory.
- Search lift and brand lift experiments aren't available with non-personalized ad inventory.
- Currently, Display & Video 360 can't forecast the reach or number of impressions associated with non-personalized ad inventory.