A call-to-action (CTA) overlay is an interactive element that appears over an ad and can help drive clicks to your website. An overlay appears when the video starts, and collapses into a thumbnail image after 15 seconds. On desktop browsers, the CTA expands when viewers hover over it. On mobile browsers, the CTA expands when viewers tap the thumbnail image.
Learn more about CTA overlays.
A TrueView in-stream ad with a CTA
- CTA text: 1 line with up to 10 characters
- Headline text: 1 line with up to 15 characters
- Display URL: The URL displayed to the users on the overlay
- Landing page: The URL to which the overlay links. Can be a redirect and/or link to an external site.
- Thumbnail: Auto-generated from the YouTube channel's icon
Create a CTA overlay in Display & Video 360
You can add a CTA overlay while creating or editing an ad in a YouTube & partners line item by clicking on Call to action and adding a call to action and headline:
- CTAs direct users to the website you specify as your landing page URL and appear alongside the headline. They can be up to 10 characters including spaces.
- Headlines promote your product or service and are the primary line of text next to your video ad. They can contain up to 15 characters including spaces.
- Required for TrueView for action line items.
- Optional for TrueView in-stream ads in brand awareness and reach line items.
- Optional for bumper and non-skippable ads
- Only one overlay may appear per YouTube video at a time.
- The original overlay will be replaced if it is edited or changed.
- The overlay set for a given ad will apply to all ads that use the same video.
Advertising policies for interactive overlays
Interactive overlays used for your YouTube video ads, such as CTA overlays and cards, must follow Google Ads Advertising Policies.