Request video ads with the IMA SDK
The Video Ad Serving Template (VAST) is an open standard, which means anyone can make a player or SDK that is VAST-compliant. Google's IMA SDK handles VAST ad responses from any standard, industry-compliant video ad server. Some of the supported DFP Video publisher and partner benefits to using the IMA SDK are shown here.
Engaging and interactive video ad formats
- Standard linear and non-linear in-stream ads
- Interactive in-stream ads (VPAID), such as interactive expand, video expand, interactive video formats *
- Skippable ads, which give users the choice to skip an ad, leading to a more engaged viewership *
- As new formats are developed, the IMA SDK streamlines adoption, eliminating the need to reimplement player logic
DFP Video ad rules
Ad rules define how ads display with your video content. You can create ad rules to determine when ads play in a video, for how long, and as a result of which triggers. Learn more about ad rules, including pods, bumpers, and cuepoints. *
DFP Video fallback
Video fallback maximizes the likelihood of filling an impression opportunity when you're using VAST redirects. With fallback, DFP ranks eligible ads and returns a slate of ads, rather than just one. Learn more
Active View viewability
Viewability helps determine how likely it is that an ad was actually seen by a user. It measures which portions of the ad that appeared in the viewable space on screen and how long those portion remained visible. Measuring viewability helps publishers and advertisers assess the value of an impression. The IMA SDK is required for Active View reports.
Additional support with IMA SDK 3
- Compatibility with the latest industry standards, including VAST 2 and 3, VMAP, and VPAID 1 and 2. *
Additional IMA SDK monetization solutions
- DoubleClick Ad Exchange
The IMA SDK is required in order to make in-stream ad requests to DoubleClick Ad Exchange, Google's yield management offering. With Ad Exchange, you have access to dynamic allocation and features that help maximize yield. You can control which buyers have the ability to bid on your more valuable video inventory by setting up Preferred Deals or Private Auctions.
- AdSense for video and AdSense for games
- TrueView and skippable video ad types
The IMA SDK is required to request TrueView and skippable video ads through AdSense for video and Ad Exchange. TrueView provides access to many of the same advertisers that buy on YouTube.
- Companion slot awareness
The IMA SDK recognizes companion ad slots from Google Publisher Tags(GPT), and autofills companion slots if a video ad doesn't have companions to fill all the companion slots on the page.
* Not available for all networks. Contact your account manager for more information.