Set up Chromecast Audio
Set up Chromecast Audio from:
Let's get you casting! To set up your Chromecast Audio, you'll need:
- A Chromecast Audio device
- Latest version of the Google Home app
- Access to an available power socket and a secure wireless network.
- Meet the minimum Operating System (OS) requirements to run the Google Home app .
- Access to a secure wireless network (make sure that you have the wireless network password to hand).
- Connection to Wi-Fi (either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz) and an Internet connection.
- A compatible Android device or tablet
- Availability and performance of certain features, services and applications are device and network-dependent and may not be available in all areas; subscription(s) may be required, and additional terms, conditions and/or charges may apply.
The initial steps are for first-time Google Home app users. If you’ve already set up a Chromecast Audio device and are setting up another device, you can skip to step 8.
- Plug in your Chromecast Audio.
- Install the Google Home app by navigating to g.co/home/setup on your Chromecast Audio supported Android device.
- Or click to download the Google Home app for Android.
- Make sure that you connect your mobile device/tablet to the same network that you intend to use to set up your Chromecast Audio device.
- Open the Google Home app by tapping the app icon on your Android device.
- Tap Get Started.
- Confirm Google Account: Choose which Google Account that you want to link to Chromecast Audio. You can also add a different account if you don’t see the account that you want to use listed. Tap OK.
- Location Services – If you don’t have Location Services on, tap Go to settings find the Google Home app turn on Location Services go back to the Google Home app.
- Location access – Location access is needed to find nearby devices that need to be set up Tap OK.
- Scanning for Chromecast Audio devices: The Google Home app scans for nearby devices that are plugged in and ready to set up.
- If no devices are found, and you’re setting up a device, tap Yes. Make sure that you’re near the Chromecast Audio device that you are setting up and that it’s plugged into a wall socket. Tap Next.
- If no devices are found, and you’re setting up a device, tap No.
- Found devices:
- If one device is found, tap Next.
- If multiple devices are found, choose the device that you want to set up Next.
- If you don’t see your device, tap Don’t see your device.
- Connecting to your new device: The app will now connect your phone to your new Chromecast Audio so that you can configure it.
- Making a connection: We’ll play a sound on the device to make sure that you’re setting up the right device.
- If you hear the sound, tap Yes.
- If you didn’t hear a sound, move closer to the Chromecast Audio device and tap Try again Scan for devices.
- Make sure that the audio cable on your Chromecast Audio is plugged into the correct input.
- Make sure that your speaker is powered on and the correct input is selected
- Make sure that the volume on your speaker is not muted.
- Privacy settings: Send usage data to Google to improve the product and set up guest mode. Toggle the slider off to adjust these settings.
- Region selection: You may need to set your region. Tap the region list select your region Continue. If you don’t see this screen, move to step 13.
- Room selection: Choose the room where your device is located. This helps you to identify the device when you want to cast to it. Tap Next.
- You can create a custom room by tapping Add custom room type in room name Next.
- Wi-Fi connection: Choose the Wi-Fi network that you want to connect to your device. Tap Next. If you don’t see your Wi-Fi network, tap Other Wi-Fi Network…
- To automatically fetch the password for this network on this device, tap Get Password. The password will populate in the password field. Note: Android L and above is required to auto-fetch the password. The Google Home app will remember this network when you set up more devices. If you don’t want the Google Home app to remember this network, untick Use this Wi-Fi network to set up future devices. If you selected a Wi-Fi network from the list, you’ll be prompted to enter your Wi-Fi password. Then tap Connect. The Google Home app will remember this network when you set up more devices. If you don’t want the Google Home app to remember this network, untick Use this Wi-Fi network to set up future devices.
- To manually enter the password, tap Enter manually type in password Connect. The Google Home app will remember this network when you set up more devices. If you don’t want the Google Home app to remember this network, untick Use this Wi-Fi network to set up future devices.
- If you selected Other Wi-Fi network, you will need to manually enter the network name, password and select the security mode that you use with your network.
- Address: The Google Home app will ask for access to use your location to pre-fill your address. If you allow access, your address will be pre-filled. Otherwise you will need to enter it manually. This is the address where your device is located. Enter your address Next.
- Note: You can Skip entering your address, but the Assistant won’t be able to answer questions about local weather, traffic or businesses.
- Email subscription: Discover tips and new features with email updates for your device and the Google Assistant. Tap Subscribe.
- Summary screen: Here’s a review of what you've set up. You can choose to set up other functionality. Tap Continue Finish setup.
- Set up is successful. You've finished!
- Learn more about Chromecast Audio: Read how to use your device. Tap Finish Setup.
Once your device is successfully set up, discover what you can do with Chromecast.
Mac OS and OS X are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft Inc. iOS is a trademark or registered trademark of Cisco Inc. The Netflix logo is a trademark of Netflix, Inc. Netflix is available in certain countries. Unlimited streaming membership required. More information at www.netflix.com.
Elise is a Chromecast expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.