Here are the minimum requirements to set up and use Chromecast devices:
Mobile devices operating system (OS) requirements
You can use the Google Home app on compatible mobile devices to set up Chromecast with Google TV, Chromecast, Chromecast Ultra, Chromecast Audio, and TVs and speakers with Chromecast built-in.
The Google Home app is compatible with the following mobile devices:
- Android phone with Android 8.0 or later
- Android tablet with Android 8.0 or later
- iPhone or iPad with iOS 14.0 or later
Note: Chromecast setup with a computer isn't supported. To set up your Chromecast, use a mobile device.
Hardware and broadband requirements
All Chromecast devices require a TV with High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) 1.3 or higher built-in. HDCP 2.2 is required to support 4K content. Most televisions that are 5 years old or newer and have HDMI ports will have at least one port that supports HDCP 2.2.
To view 4K or Ultra High-definition (UHD) content, in addition to the requirements listed above, your equipment must meet the following requirements:
- For 4K content, you need a 4K-capable TV and high-speed internet connection of at least 20 Mbps.
- For High Dynamic Range (HDR) content, you need an HDR-capable TV.
- Availability and performance of features and services are application-, device- and network-dependent and might not be available in all areas. Subscription(s) might be required, and additional terms, conditions, or charges may apply.
- The length of your content, internet service provider's network availability over time, and other factors can impact your internet speed, and therefore your Chromecast device's ability to show content in the best possible resolution. Learn how to stream 4K Ultra HD content.
- 4K content is supported only on Chromecast with Google TV (4K) and Chromecast Ultra.
To learn about technical specifications for Chromecast devices, check Chromecast specifications.
Terms of Service and Privacy