Requirements for Chromecast devices
Chromecast > Chromecast Basics > Chromecast system requirement
Here are the minimum Operating System (OS) requirements for Chromecast devices:
Mobile devices operating system (OS) requirements
You can use the Google Home app on compatible mobile devices to set up Chromecast (both versions), Chromecast Ultra, Chromecast Audio, and TVs and speakers with Chromecast built-in.
The Google Home app is compatible with mobile devices running:
- Android 4.4 and higher
- iOS 9.1 and higher
Computer operating system (OS) requirements
Setting up Chromecast (both versions), Chromecast Ultra, Chromecast Audio, and TVs and speakers with Chromecast built-in on a computer requires a Wi-fi connected computer/laptop running:
- Mac OS X 10.9 and higher with Chrome browser
- Windows 7 and higher with Chrome browser
- Chrome OS device
Note: You don’t need the Google Home mobile app to set up or cast from computers.
Hardware and broadband requirements to view 4K or Ultra HD content on Chromecast Ultra
In order to view 4K or Ultra HD content on Chromecast Ultra, in addition to the OS requirements listed above, your equipment must meet the following requirements:
- For 4K content, you need a 4K-capable TV and a high-speed internet connection (at least 20 mbps)
- For HDR content, you need an HDR-capable TV.
- Availability and performance of features and services are application-, device- and network-dependent and may not be available in all areas; subscription(s) may be required, and additional terms, conditions and/or charges may apply.
- The length of your content, your internet service provider's network availability over time and other factors can impact your Internet speed, and therefore Chromecast Ultra's ability to show content in the best possible resolution. Here’s more information about streaming 4K Ultra HD content with Chromecast Ultra.
To learn about technical specifications for Chromecast devices, read the Chromecast specifications article.
Note: Chromecast Ultra is not available in all countries.
Elise is a Chromecast expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.