Casting from the YouTube app & YouTube.com
Watching your favorite YouTube videos on your TV has never been easier.
Step 1: Make sure your mobile device or computer is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as Chromecast.
- Here's how to check the Wi-Fi network of your Chromecast device.
- Here's how to check the Wi-Fi network of your mobile device or computer:
- On your phone's Home screen, tap Settings > Wi-Fi > connect to the network that matches your Chromecast device.
- Computer - Click Wi-Fi > connect to the network that matches your Chromecast device.
Step 2. Choose a video
- Open the YouTube app or YouTube.com.
- Tap the Cast button . Tip: On the YouTube app, the Cast button is at the top of the Home screen. From YouTube.com on your laptop, it's in the bottom right corner of the player.
Note: You can also open YouTube.com and cast directly from Chrome browser.
Step 3. Choose your Chromecast device
Tap the Chromecast device you want to cast to > tap Play. Your content will start playing on the TV connected to that Chromecast device.
Step 4. Stop casting content
Tap the Cast button > Disconnect.
You can continue to use your phone or tablet to perform other tasks while your video is playing. To play, pause, or navigate with the scrollbar, use your device as you normally would to control playback. If you want to 'cast' the video back to your phone and tablet, simply press the 'Cast' button once more, and select your phone or tablet from the list of available devices.
Playing multiple videos back-to-back
While watching a video, you can add more videos to your TV queue by selecting Add to TV queue on your mobile device or desktop. To see your TV queue, click YouTube logo which functions as a back button until you see TV queue. Any device that is connected to your Wi-Fi network can cast videos and add to the TV queue. You can read more about this feature here.
- Some videos may not play using Chromecast. Videos not approved for mobile playback will not work with Chromecast.
- Because YouTube uses adaptive bitrate streaming, videos may appear lower quality at first, then will switch to the highest possible quality after a few seconds. If the video does not buffer at playback speed, the video will be downgraded to a lower quality setting, allowing for smoother playback.
- Casting from YouTube is supported from the YouTube app, YouTube Music app, YouTube.com, and most embedded YouTube videos.
If you're having trouble, please try our Chromecast Troubleshooting tips here.