Watch YouTube on your Smart TV (newer models)
If you're using YouTube on a Smart TV from 2013 or newer, you likely have the youtube.com/tv app.Sign in to use YouTube features
Sign in with your mobile device
- Make sure your mobile device is on the same Wi-Fi network as your TV.
- Sign in to the YouTube app on your phone.
- Go to the Sign in screen in the YouTube app on your TV.
- The YouTube app on your TV will automatically search for your mobile device. Once they're paired, you'll get a notification on your mobile screen that says Tap to begin TV sign in. Tap the profile picture .
- Tap Continue as <Your name>.
- On the "Allow Account Access" screen, tap Allow.
- You'll get a notification that says "You are signing in to your TV". Then, you'll get a notification that says "You're now signed in to the TV."
Sign in on your TV
Step 1: Find the activation code and sign in
- Go to the Sign in screen in the YouTube app and stay on this screen until you've completed the remaining steps.
- On your computer or mobile device, visit youtube.com/activate.
- Sign in when you're asked to. If you have more than one Google Account, please select the account you use with YouTube. If you're already signed in, skip to the steps below.
Step 2: Select your channel
After signing in, you may see a list of Google identities associated with your YouTube channel.
Step 3: Complete the activation process
- Once you've selected an account, enter the activation code shown in the YouTube app on your TV.
- Click Allow access and wait for the confirmation screen in the app.
Learn more about Google Identities on YouTube.
Once you select a video to play, a player control bar will open, allowing you to perform the following actions:
- Home returns you to the home screen.
- Play will play or resume your video.
- Forward will advance the video by 10 seconds.
- Rewind will rewind the video by 10 seconds.
- Captions will show the video's closed captions, if available.
When playing a video, you can find more options by selecting More actions. You can get to the following options from the More actions menu:
- Subscribe to the channel
- Rate the video
- Flag the video for violating Community Guidelines
YouTube on TV includes a feature called autoplay. This means a suggested video will automatically play after the video you're currently watching.
To turn off autoplay, go into your menu and choose Settings Autoplay, then uncheck the box.
After you turn off this feature, you'll still get suggested videos once you finish the video you're watching, but nothing will play automatically.
Select Search to find YouTube videos. Use the navigation keys to scroll through your subscriptions, recommended videos, playlists and more.
You can also use the Send to TV feature to search for videos from a separate device.
Learn more about paid content on smart TVs.