Watch YouTube on TV (newer models)
If you're using YouTube on a Smart TV from 2013 or newer, you likely have the youtube.com/tv app.Sign in to access YouTube features
Step 1: Find the activation code and sign in
- Navigate to the Sign in screen in the YouTube app and stay on this screen until you've completed the remaining steps.
- Visit youtube.com/activate on your computer or mobile device.
- Sign in when prompted. If you have multiple Google accounts, please select the account you use with YouTube. If you're already signed in, skip to the steps below.
Step 2: Select your channel
After signing in, you may be presented with a list of Google identities associated with your account. This list includes:
- Your account's personal identity. If you have a Google+ profile, it's your name; otherwise, it's your email address.
- Any Google+ pages managed by your account. These will show up whether or not they are linked to a YouTube channel. Be sure to select a Google+ page that is linked to a YouTube channel. If you select a Google+ page that doesn't have a YouTube channel, you won't be able to sign in.
Step 3: Complete the activation process
- Once you've selected an account, enter the activation code shown in the YouTube app on your TV.
- Click Allow access and wait for the confirmation screen in the app.
Learn more about Google Identities on YouTube.
Once you select a video to play, a player control bar will appear allowing you to perform the following actions:
- Go home returns you to the home screen.
- Play will play or resume your video.
- Forward will advance the video by 10 seconds.
- Rewind will rewind the video by 10 seconds.
- Captions will show the video's closed captions, if available.
When playing a video, you can find additional options by selecting More actions. You can navigate to the following options from the More actions menu:
- Subscribe to the channel
- Rate the video
- Flag the video for violating community guidelines
YouTube on TV includes a feature called autoplay. This means a suggested video will automatically play after the video you are currently watching.
To disable autoplay, go into your menu and choose Settings > Autoplay, then uncheck the box.
After you disable this feature, you will still see suggested videos once you finish the video you are watching, but nothing will play automatically.
Select the Search icon to find YouTube videos. Use the navigation keys to scroll through your subscriptions, recommended videos, playlists and more.
You can also use the Send to TV feature to search for videos from a separate device.
Learn more about paid content on smart TVs.