Your phone can serve as a helpful Chromecast remote control and input tool for your Google or Android TV.
What you need to get started
- Android TV or Google TV device
- Android phone
- Google TV mobile version 188.8.131.52 or later
- Note: Outside the US, the app is called “Google Play Movies & TV.”
- The latest version of the Google Home app
- iPhone with iOS 14.0 or later
Pair your virtual remote
From the Google Home app
- Power on your TV and Google TV or Android TV device.
- On your mobile device, open the Google Home app .
- Tap the Google TV or Android TV device you want to control.
- To use your virtual remote control, tap Open remote.
From the Google TV app
- On your Android phone, open the Google TV app .
- Near the bottom right, tap Remote .
- At the top, tap Scanning for devices.
- Choose your device.
- To complete pairing, follow the instructions on your phone and TV.
- After pairing, you can use your phone or your remote.
To fix problems with the Google TV virtual remote, refer to the Use your phone as your Google TV remote article.
From your Android
- From the top of your screen, swipe down twice.
- At the bottom left, tap Edit .
- Touch and hold TV Remote and drag it to where you want it.
You can use your phone just as you would as your normal remote control.
- Type on your TV with your phone’s keyboard
- Navigate around your TV apps with phone swipes
- Control media playback like pause, play and rewind
- Access your settings, bookmarks and inputs, use your branded buttons, and watch TV