Activate Verizon Wireless (U.S. only)
You may be able to use mobile data provided by Verizon Wireless to connect to the Internet on your Chromebook if you're in the U.S. In this article, we'll guide you through the initial activation process.
Check whether your Chromebook can connect to mobile networks
Click the status area in the lower-right corner of your screen and select the network listed in the menu. If you then see at the bottom of the menu, that means your Chromebook is capable of using mobile networks for Internet access.
Alternatively, you can type "chrome://settings/" into your browser's omnibox (address bar), and look in the "Internet connection" section of this page. If you see a mobile data setting as well as a Wi-Fi setting, then your Chromebook is able to connect to mobile networks. If there is no mobile data setting, you have a Chromebook that is able to connect to Wi-Fi networks only.
Steps to activate your access
Using a Chromebook at work or school? Ask your network administrator if you're on a postpaid plan with Verizon. If you are, follow postpaid plan activation instructions, instead of the steps below.
You'll be able to create a new account for your mobile-ready 3G or 4G Chromebook, or add it to an existing Verizon Wireless "Share Everything" plan.
- Click the network status icon from the status area, then select your wireless connection.
- Click Activate Verizon Wireless to open the Verizon connectivity portal.
- Once expanded, you may choose to enter your existing Verizon account credentials to add your Chromebook to an existing "Share Everything" plan, or to create a new plan.
- Select the amount of data usage and the pricing option that works best for you.
- Review the terms and conditions and click I agree.
- Review your order and click Activate service.
The activation process can take three to five minutes. To ensure a smooth activation, make sure you're connected to a network with a strong signal. Don't use your Chromebook while the activation is in progress.
An order confirmation page appears once your access has been successfully activated. You'll also receive an email confirming the activation.
Arneil is a Chromebook expert and author of this help page. Help him improve this article by leaving feedback below.