Update your Chromebook operating system
Your Chromebook automatically checks for updates, but you can also check for and install updates, manually.
Your Chromebook automatically downloads software updates when it's turned on and connected to Wi-Fi. After an update is downloaded, you will need to install it.
To install an update:
- Look in the status area, where your account picture appears, for the Update icon . This icon appears only when an update is ready.
- Click Update Restart to update.
Check for updates yourself
To check for and install updates before the next automatic update:
- Click the status area, where your account picture appears.
- Click Settings About Chrome OS.
- In the "About" window that appears, click Check for and apply updates. Your Chromebook will start to install any available updates.
- After the updates are installed, click Restart to update.
To confirm that your Chromebook is up to date, you can check the "About" window.
What information goes to Google when you update
When your Chromebook checks for updates, it sends certain information to Google, like its version number and language. This information isn't associated with you or your Google account.
Casey is a Chromebook expert and author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.