Find your Chromebook's owner account
Your Chromebook's owner has extra permissions that other accounts on your Chromebook don't have. Only the owner can change certain settings, such as:
- Time zone
- Sign-in permissions
- Wi-Fi network preferences
Check if your account is the owner
If you're using your Chromebook at work or school, your device administrator is the owner of your Chromebook. In other cases, the first Google Account used on the Chromebook is the owner.
- If you haven't yet, sign in to your Chromebook.
- Click your account photo.
- Click Settings .
- In the "People" section, click Manage other people.
- If your account is the owner, you can turn these settings on or off. If another account is the owner, you'll see one of these messages:
- "These settings may only be modified by the owner"
- "These settings are controlled by enterprise policy"
It's not possible to transfer owner permissions to another account on your Chromebook.
To change the owner of your Chromebook:
- Reset your Chromebook to factory settings. This process will erase all data, files, and accounts on your Chromebook.
- Set up your Chromebook again, signing in with the account that you want as the owner.
Note: If you're using your Chromebook at work or school, your administrator is the owner. You can't reset your Chromebook or change its owner.
Casey is a Chromebook expert and author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.