A supervised user is a special type of Chrome user who can browse the web and sign in to websites under the supervision of a manager. Supervised users don't need a Google Account or an email address because the manager creates a profile for the supervised user through the manager's Google Account.
As a manager of a supervised user, you can see the user's browsing history, block specific sites, and approve which sites the user can see, all from the supervised users dashboard which you can visit from any browser.
Add a supervised userWindows, Mac, and Linux
- Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar and select Settings.
- In the "Users" section, click Add new user. Note: You can important an existing supervised user from another computer by clicking Import an existing supervised user.
- Choose a picture and enter a name for the supervised user.
- Check the box next to "This is a supervised user managed by <your email address>". If the checkbox is grayed out, you'll need to sign in to Chrome before you can proceed.
- Click Create.
Creating a supervised user in Chrome is not the same as adding a user on your computer. A supervised user can close the supervised user windows and access other Chrome users available on the computer. If you are the manager of a supervised user, you can always remove your own Chrome profile from the computer or sign out of Chrome before handing it off to a supervised user.
- If you're signed in to your Chromebook click the status area at the bottom of your screen, where your account picture appears, then click Sign out.
- On the main sign-in screen, click Add user in the lower-left corner.
- On the right side of the screen that appears, click Create a supervised user.
- Click Create a supervised user.
- Log in to the account that will manage the supervised user and click Next. Note: If you don't have an account on your Chromebook to be the manager, you'll need to add an account to the device first.
- Create a username, password, and picture for the supervised user.
- Click Next. Learn more about not being able to create a supervised user.
Using a Chromebook at work or school? Supervised users aren't available on managed Chromebooks. Learn about using a managed Chromebook
You can only set up supervised users on a device that you own. If you don't have owner permissions on your Chromebook, you'll need to reset it. Learn how to reset your Chromebook.
By default, a supervised user can go to any website that they want. If you don't want a supervised user to go to certain websites, you can block those websites by editing the supervised users dashboard. Learn how to set up website permissions
Supervised users can't install extensions or apps from the Chrome Web Store.
SafeSearch is turned on by default for supervised users. SafeSearch filters help prevent adult content from appearing in the supervised user’s search results. SafeSearch filters may not be 100 percent accurate, but SafeSearch should help you avoid most of this type of material. Learn more about SafeSearch settings.