A supervised user is a special type of Chrome user who can browse the web with guidance. Under the supervision of the manager, a supervised user can browse the web and sign in to websites. Supervised users don't need a Google Account or an email address because the manager creates a profile for the supervised user through the manager's Google Account.
As a manager of a supervised user, you can see the user’s browsing history, block specific sites, and approve which sites the user can see, all from the supervised users dashboard that is accessible from any browser.
Create a supervised userWindows, Mac, and Linux
- Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar and select Settings.
- In the "Users" section, click Add new user.
- Choose a picture and enter a name for the supervised user.
- Check the box next to "This is a supervised user managed by <your email address>". If the checkbox is greyed out, you'll need to sign in to Chrome before you can proceed.
You can create desktop shortcuts for each Chrome user on your computer. Desktop shortcuts provide quick access to each profile and each shortcut shows the unique name and picture of each Chrome user.
- Click Create.
- If you're signed in to your Chromebook click the status area at the bottom of your screen, where your account picture appears, then select Sign out.
- On the main sign-in screen, click Add user on the lower-left corner to bring up the "Sign in" dialog. The sign-in screen can support up to 18 unique users.
- On the right hand side of the screen, click Create a supervised user.
- Click Create a supervised user.
- Log in to the account that will manage the supervised user and click Next. Note: If you have not yet set up an account to be the manager of the user, you’ll need to add an account to the device first.
- Select a username, password, and picture for the supervised user.
- Click Next. Note: If you're signing in to your Google Account as a manager for the first time on a device, it may take a little while to finish setting up the supervised user. Learn more about not being able to create a supervised user.
You can only set up supervised users on a device that you own. If you don't have owner permissions on your Chromebook, you'll need to reset it. Learn how to reset your Chromebook.
By default, a supervised user can go to any website that they want. If you don't want a supervised user to go to certain websites, you can block those websites by editing the supervised users dashboard. Learn how to set up website permissions
Supervised users can't install extensions or apps from the Chrome Web Store.
SafeSearch is turned on by default for supervised users. SafeSearch filters help prevent adult content from appearing in the supervised user’s search results. SafeSearch filters may not be 100 percent accurate, but SafeSearch should help you avoid most of this type of material. Learn more about SafeSearch settings.