Create a private Chrome app collection
This article is for IT administrators managing Chrome and Chrome devices for Work or Education.
Chrome and Chrome device administrators can recommend Chrome web apps to users in their organization, available in a private collection only those users can see. Users signed-in to their Google Apps accounts will see this private collection as a tab in the Chrome Web Store named after their organization.
Example of a Chrome Web Store private collection for http://altostrat.com.
The private collection can include both public apps and private apps restricted to the organization (like a bookmark app linking to a company's HR website or a bookmark app that links to a school's homepage). Private apps appear on the web store with a small padlock to the bottom-right of their product image. The Chrome administrator can specify which users in the domain are allowed to upload private apps. You can include all of your organization's private apps or a subset of them in the private collection.
Private apps restricted to your organization
Chrome for Work and Chrome device customers can use the Chrome Web Store to host private apps restricted only to their users. When users are signed in to their Chrome devices, they will see their organization's private apps in a private collection named after their domain in the Chrome Web Store.
You can customize the Chrome Web Store homepage for users in your domain by choosing one of these three options in the Admin console under Device management > Chrome management > User settings > Chrome Web Store Homepage:
- Use the default homepage (https://chrome.google.com/webstore)
- Use the “For your_domain.com” collection (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/for_your_domain)
- Use a custom page, set below (where you can specify the URL you want in the text box)
- Sign in to your Admin console.
- Go to Device management > Chrome management > User settings > Chrome Web Store Permissions.
- Select an organizational unit.
- Check the box Allow users to publish apps restricted to your domain on Chrome Web Store.
Users who are part of the selected organizational unit can publish private apps in the Chrome developer dashboard. Learn more about how to Publish private Chrome web apps restricted to your organization. Also note that this organizational unit will need to have the Chrome Web Store turned on in the Admin console under Additional Google Services in order to publish private apps.
Recommend apps and extensions for your organization
Chrome administrators can recommend apps and extensions for users in their organization. When your users are signed in to their Google Apps accounts and they visit the Chrome Web Store, the public and private apps and extensions that you recommend will be in a collection called "For your domain", which you can rename.
You can make this private collection in the Chrome Web Store the default landing page for your users by selecting the setting below. Both public and private apps that you recommend appear in the "For your domain" collection in the Chrome Web Store.
To set up a recommended collection of Chrome apps for your organization, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your Admin console.
- Go to Device management > Chrome management > User settings > Chrome Web Store Homepage.
- Click on Manage public apps. In the dialog box that pops up, choose which public apps and extensions you want to highlight for your organization.
You can recommend apps in Device management > Chrome management > App management as well, but you do it one app at a time. You would use App management to recommend apps when you need to configure additional policies and settings for an app.
There is a limit of 100 apps that can be displayed when using the option 'Recommend apps and extensions for your organization'.
Under Which private apps should be included in the collection? you have two options:
- Include all private apps and extensions from my domain.
- I will choose which private apps and extensions to include.
With each of these settings, you can select which apps you want to recommend for your users.