Applies to IT administrators who want to deploy a master_preferences file for managed Chrome Browser on Windows and Mac computers.
As an admin, you can use master preferences to deploy default preferences to Chrome Browser users on managed computers. These preferences are applied when users first open Chrome Browser. For example, you can set the homepage or choose which tabs and URLs are shown when they open Chrome Browser.
Note: The master_preferences file will be renamed to initial_preferences.json in Chrome 88.
When to use master preferences
Use master preferences to:
- Configure default settings that users can change later.
- Deploy settings that you don’t want to manage, or aren’t available, with a Chrome policy.
- Apply settings to Microsoft® Windows® computers that aren’t joined to an Active Directory® domain.
If a setting is managed by a Chrome policy and also configured in the master_preferences file, the policy takes precedence and users can’t edit the setting. For details, see View a device’s current Chrome policies.
Note: The "Welcome to Chrome" dialog shown to users on Chrome's first run on Windows 8 will be removed in Chrome 78. Support for the distribution.suppress_first_run_default_browser_prompt master_preferences setting will be removed accordingly.
Before you begin
If users already have Chrome Browser on their computers, you need to remove it before you complete the steps below.
Deploy master preferencesStep 1: Create the master_preferences file
- Windows—C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\master_preferences
- Mac—~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Google Chrome Master Preferences or /Library/Google/Google Chrome Master Preferences