Use master preferences for Chrome Browser
Applies to IT administrators who want to deploy a master_preferences file for managed Chrome Browser on Windows and Mac computers.
As an admin, you can use master preferences to deploy default preferences to Chrome Browser users on managed computers. These preferences are applied when users first open Chrome Browser. For example, you can set the homepage or choose which tabs and URLs are shown when they open Chrome Browser.
When to use master preferences
Use master preferences to:
- Configure default settings that users can change later.
- Deploy settings that you don’t want to manage, or aren’t available, with a Chrome policy.
- Apply settings to Microsoft® Windows® computers that aren’t joined to an Active Directory® domain.
Note: If a setting is managed by a Chrome policy and also configured in the master_preferences file, the policy takes precedence and users can’t edit the setting. For details, see View a device’s current Chrome policies.
Before you begin
If users already have Chrome Browser on their computers, you need to remove it before you complete the steps below.
Deploy master preferencesStep 1: Create the master_preferences file
- Windows—C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\master_preferences
- Mac—~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Google Chrome Master Preferences or /Library/Google/Google Chrome Master Preferences